5022WSPR QSO mode notes

  • Al
    Aug 2, 2008
      Hello All:
      I have compiled some notes on the WSPR QSO mode. I have attached an Excel file and a Word file with my data.
      Any comments or suggestions for this "everything on one sheet" crib sheet are welcome. Especially QSO mode frequencies.
      I have been in email QSO with Rein, W6SZ, and have come up with the following suggestions for successful WSPR QSO's:

      To call CQ:
      1. Set your dial frequency to the one listed on the crib sheet.
      2. You can use Frequency Axis or JT65 DF Axis - your preference.
      3. If you are using Frequency Axis click the waterfall a little to the right of 1500  (or leave it there).
      4. If you are using JT65 DF Axis click just to the right of zero (0) (or leave it there).
      Using 3 or 4 sets the Freeze DF to what ever you clicked. Lets say 50 for this example.
      5. Click the red box labeled TxDF and it should change to the same number as the Freeze DF. In my example it would be 50.
      Now you are ready to call CQ and you will transmit and receive on the same frequency.

      To answer someone's CQ:
      1. You have already set the dial frequency.
      2. Double click his call and it will move it into the To Radio box and the Tx boxes.
      3. Either click on the waterfall on his vertical line or the red spike.
      4. This sets your receive frequency exactly on his transmit frequency. The offset will be in the Freeze DF box.
      5. Click the red TxDF box. If you had something set in it earlier, you will have to click it again so the number matches the Freeze DF number.
      Using the crib sheet attached, you can tell whether he is first or second segment. You will use the opposite segment.

      I hope this helps in some way, and if you spot errors in my thinking, please let me know.
      Best 73,