3823Re: [wsjtgroup] JT65A protocol

  • Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]
    Jul 15, 2007
      Chris Cox, N0UK skrev:
      > Graeme,
      > I can't comment on what is the norm onm HF. The exchanges you describe
      > are what are correct AND USED when using JT65 for its originally intended
      > purpose of narrowband terrestrial DX & EME contacts on the VHF bands. It
      > is amended from the standard EME protocol and reading abouyt that will
      > give an understanding of the meaning of each of the exchanges in the
      > sequence.
      > In my (perhaps jaded) view, many HF operators do not exchange sufficient
      > information for what would constitute a valid contact traditionally.
      > i.e. both stations send and receive the pair of callsigns, some piece of
      > unknown information (signal report/grid square/shoe size/etc) and then
      > confirmation of such receipt. It is not uncommon on HF - especially in a
      > contest to not even send your own callsign on each and every contact.
      > Hence, it does not really surprise me that the "rules" as written aren't
      > followed using this mode either.
      > Chris
      Graeme, Chris et al
      It has (in record time, I might add) become customary to adhere to
      something close too:

      Answer CQ: hiscall mycall "rpt" (where report is taken from the "dB"
      column in WSJT, and can be f.eks. "-07")
      Reply to previous message: hiscall mycall R"rpt" (replaces the "RO" in
      EME usage)(can as an example be "R-11")
      When you have complete calls, report and "R" you send: hiscall mycall RRR
      And finally a lot of creativity in how you structure your 13 chars in
      the customary final "73" message, I often send "TU 73 20W PIF" to say
      thank you, 73, power used and identification, all in one short message.

      You may say that this has been caused by the mode's extreme
      effectiveness in getting messages across, even in high QRM/low signal
      strength conditions!

      A few final words to the newbie: Do tune to the other station's carrier
      QRG when responding to a CQ, it rapidly gets weird if you are even a few
      hundred Hz away, and other stations call too!
      Generally 250Hz separation between QSOs will work just fine allthough
      closer seems to work in certain conditions as well.

      Good luck with a very exiting DX-mode

      Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

      ** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
      email: peter(no-spam-filler)@...