3426Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT and FT-897D

  • Dan_K9ZF
    Jan 2, 2007
      Thanks for sharing Larry.

      I recently bought an 897D. I'm not setup for WSJT again yet, but hope
      to be before too much longer.

      [I still have to put up some antennas, and interface to a laptop with no
      serial ports....]

      73
      Dan
      --
      K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
      Check out the Rover Resource Page at: <http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>

      Larry wrote:
      > The "low power out on digital modes" has been fixed. Since I did not
      > get any response from my original post, I thought I'd post the
      > solution and add to the general knowledge base.
      >
      > The problem was with my new FT-897D and WSJT (also MMTTY) using the
      > AFSK input and the radios digital mode. The output power was low even
      > though the ALC level indicator said the audio level was more than
      > adequate. The interface and audio levels used were the exact same as I
      > have been using successfully with my TS-2000 for quite some time.
      > Since the TS-2000 worked fine with the interface, I assumed the
      > problem was with the FT-897D radio.
      >
      > Once I dragged a scope over to the radio and looked at the audio line,
      > it was obvious what the problem was. Some high frequency crap (no
      > doubt from a switching power supply somewhere in the shack) was riding
      > on the audio tone and causing the ALC to pump up and limit the power
      > output. It seems that the TS-2000 has some audio filtering on the
      > digital input that the FT-897D does not. Anyway, it was easy to fix
      > and now all is well with both radios.
      >
      > I'm looking forward to making some MS contacts with this new radio in
      > the next few days.
      >
      > 73, Larry
      > Larry - W7IUV
      > DN07dg