3070RE: [wsjtgroup] Dual Sound Cards

  • Bob Hart
    Apr 26, 2006

      Assuming you are running XP (any version), you certainly can use two sound
      cards (or more). If you are running ME or 98, it can be done but is much
      more tricky.

      What Creative is really saying is " we don't have the staff, nor is it
      profitable, to support advanced uses of our products due to the sometimes
      difficult configuration issues..".

      Most applications that use sound cards will give you the option of which
      card to use. For those that don't, they will use the card that you have
      specified as the default sound device (Control Panel/Sounds and Audio

      What creative says is true in that Windows can only run one mixer at a time,
      but you can select each sound card individually to set the "mix" for that
      particular card. Since you will only be using one card at a time, this
      isn't an issue.

      The only issue I see is I believe you said you have two of the same card.
      It might be confusing which one you are selecting/mix adjusting... But with
      some playing around and experience, you might notice that one card is always
      listed before the other.. Hopefully.
      If not, you may want to get a different card.. Perhaps a cheapo 16-bit
      which, and please community, correct me if I am wrong, is plenty of card for
      sound/radio applications. In fact I do believe most sound card applications
      say don't get fancy with expensive sound cards.

      Get into that box and try it out. Feel free to contact me offlist if you
      have further questions.

      Best of Luck and God Bless!