1593RE: [wsjtgroup] laptop RFI--help!

  • Russ K2TXB
    Dec 19, 2004
      Hi Andy, I had a Thinkpad model TP-600E that I used to use for portable and
      auxillary WSJT operations. It was a 330 MHz Pentium 2, and while it worked
      ok, it was pretty slow for JT65. You definitely had to use the 'slow CPU'
      option. But I concur that it had no noise. I think one could probably pick
      up a used TP-600? in the range of $300 and up.

      My new laptop is a Dell Inspiron 600M, and it is bloody fast. Decodes JT65
      sequences in about a second (it took the thinkpad up to 20 seconds), and
      FSK441 decodes just about instantaneously. I have noticed no noise from the
      Dell, either with or without the charger, but have not yet used it in a
      portable environment. It does sit right beside my 2 two meter receivers,
      and it is connected to the internet via RF, and no interference either way.

      By the way, the Thinkpad, new, cost me over $4200, while the new Dell with
      all kinds of accessories like an extra portable (car/airplane/wall) charger,
      leather carrying case, docking station, 1.6 Ghz Pentium 4, 60 Gig hard
      drive, 512 meg memory, 2 meg USB ram drive, and wireless mouse, cost only
      around $1800. See, you can get more for less. I would have bought another
      Thinkpad, but the current models just did not stand up to the Dell in terms
      of features, performance, or price.

      73, Russ K2TXB