1586Re: [wsjtgroup] laptop RFI--help!

  • aflowers@frontiernet.net
    Dec 19, 2004
      Here's an update on the situation....
      I went out to the car with fairly new Gateway 450. I ran it on the
      battery to see if that was the issue. It wasn't. It's a great
      weak-signal noise source on 144 MHz anywhere withing 50ft of the car,
      though I found that it had quite a bit of directionality--yes, I turned
      off the wireless card. I don't know about the older Compaq Presario and
      it's battery bit the dust long ago so that I can only run it with the
      cord. It looks like the same problem since there is no QRM with the
      DC-DC converter plugged in with the computer off. I'm willing to bet
      that this is all because there is alot of DC-DC switching after the
      battery, in which case you are going to be screwed no matter what you
      do.

      I might experiment with some aluminum foil from the kitchen and see what
      I can do. I don't think the directionality is going to be helpful when
      the computer is below the antenna though. Makes me think I need to go
      out and buy a really cheap thinkpad. It's gotta be possible to run WSJT
      (at least FSK441) on something that costs less that $100 now...

      Andy K0SM