1521RE: [wsjtgroup] FSK441 "squelch"

  • Randy Tipton
    Nov 22 3:24 PM

      I venture to say that over 99% of contact attempts on both two and six meters are using FSK441A for all the reason you stated.

      During the Random Hour Activity Periods we all tried the FEC modes but a quick consensus was soon reached that the old

      FSK441A mode was the best.

      Having stated that, I believe that JT6M on six meters has a place in the tool box for propagation modes other than meteor scatter. It works

      well for meteor scatter but if the pings end up all being short which is common for longer distances, then you will wish you were running FSK441A instead.

      I understand that little six meter meteor scatter work is being done in Europe with no six meter allowance for the MS  Contests. Maybe one day six meters will

      be allowed in enough Eu countries to promote some meteor scatter experimentation there also.

      Thanks to Joe for his diversity of modes so we can all experiment and have fun.