13045Re: [wsjtgroup] Re: Sound card help pse

  • Mark Perrin
    Aug 3, 2014
      Thanks for all the suggestions.

      73,

      Mark N7MQ

      On Aug 3, 2014, at 4:40 AM, "'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@... [wsjtgroup]" <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Windows XP has no proper concept of sharing a sound device, this
      > means that the first application to attach to a sound device has
      > exclusive control on settings. you probably need to ensure that no
      > other application has the sound device open before you attempt to
      > change its settings.

      This also means that Windows can not use the sound card you are using
      for WSJT-X as the "system default" or "default communications" device.
      By using the sound card as the default, Windows will open the device
      and lock the sample rate.

      One is best served to use a second sound card and dedicate it to
      amateur purposes. Not only does that bypass sample rate (and input)
      locking it also assures that windows sounds/alarms/streaming go to
      the system speakers rather than to the *radio*!

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV

      On 2014-08-03 4:49 AM, bill.8@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
      > Hi Mark,
      >
      > many decodes failing is indeed a symptom of an incorrect default sound card sample rate setting. On Windows XP the default rate setting is in the domain of the device driver and any associated control panel helpers. This means that different hardware with manufacturer supplied drivers have different settings tools. I cannot tell you exactly where to look for your card's default rate setting but it should be accessible somehow from the control panel "Sounds" icon.
      >
      > 48kHz sample rate is essential in XP for WSJT-X since the operating system rate converter is badly broken and distorts audio streams significantly.
      >
      > Windows XP has no proper concept of sharing a sound device, this means that the first application to attach to a sound device has exclusive control on settings. you probably need to ensure that no other application has the sound device open before you attempt to change its settings.
      >
      > Hope this helps & 73
      > Bill
      > G4WJS.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic