13020Re: [Moon-Net] 6m update from KH8/W7GJ

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Jul 24, 2014
      Hi Russ,

      The reason I adopted the revised procedure for callers was so I could tell which
      callers are copying me, and try to complete with them first. This is the way I have
      been able to quickly work a number of stations on my 6m EME DXpeditions, where most
      of the stations are extremely weak, many stations are horizon-only (limiting their
      potential moon time to a couple sharp ground gain lobes) and the Faraday rotation can
      be very slow ( locking out stations for long periods of time). Spending a long time
      calling stations who do not copy you is counter productive and unnecessarily prevents
      contacts with other stations with whom 3 minute exchanges would be possible.

      On all but one of my six 50 MHz EME DXpeditions, I have not had any internet access,
      and I don't plan on having any such access on future 6m EME DXpeditions either.
      Therefore, I can't operate JT65 as many people on some bands do, replying to stations
      that report via the internet that they are copying them! My operations are much more
      "random" and are completely based on actual radio contacts. The decision to have
      stations call with OOO if they are copying me in the previous sequence was made
      because it was the only way I could get both calls AND the information as to which
      stations were copying at that time. Since I treat such a call as a call with
      callsigns only, my responses are always either calls and OOO or final RRR (in strict
      accordance with the time honored EME contact protocol).

      encouraging all callers to use it on each of my 6m EME DXpeditions if they have any
      interest on working me from a new DXCC. I don't have the luxury of having many strong
      stations to work, with lots of "extra margin" to make up for polarity mismatch. Nor
      do I have the luxury of cross polarization or circular polarization on 6m. This is
      the best solution I have found for me on my 6m EME DXpeditions, and the proof is in
      the pudding. I am up to 64 stations logged on 6m EME up to this point, far exceeding
      my other records for stations worked on such DXpeditions....and I still have one more
      weekend left to go. I am happy to be able to provide a rare DXCC for serious 6m EME
      operators around the world, and greatly appreciate their willingness to learn and
      follow this most productive procedure.

      GL and VY 73, Lance

      On 7/20/2014 7:49 PM, Russ K2TXB wrote:

      > Hello Paul. Well I did not realize it was only a six meter thing. I still do not
      > really like the idea of having a ‘secret protocol’, available to only those who
      > read his web page or if he happens to mention it on moon net. However I am not on
      > six meters and so really have nothing more to say about it. I thought it was the
      > same expedition as ZL1RS/KH8 and thus that the comment was for 2 meters too.
      >
      > Sorry about that,
      >
      > 73, Russ

      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ)
      P.O. Box 73
      Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
      USA
      TEL: (406) 626-5728