12838Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT 1.3 [r3673] crashes Windows 8.1

  • Kai
    Jun 30, 2014
      Hi Bob,
      Thanks for your well thought-out email.

      The Signalink-USB always appears as "USB Audio CODEC", as it did in Win XP-SP3.
      My laptop runs Win 8.1 64 bit OS; all Windows updates are installed as of today.
      There are a couple of Dell things that can be updated (Bios for example), I'll do that
      later today.
      Joe, W4TV, was helpful, but his recommendations did not work.

      The "green screen" stayed up long enough for me to copy the text, but then went into
      restart before I copied the stop code. It actually took me by surprise.
      The Windows event viewer brings up a dizzying array of choices to probe.
      Under "System" I found a "critical" entry time stamped at the moment of one of the re-starts. The message is:
      "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
      Well, thanks, I already knew that. There were no further codes.

      Another critical entry reports:
      "The previous system shutdown at 2:43:51 PM on ‎6/‎29/‎2014 was unexpected."
      No kidding!  ... and no further code info.

      There do seem to be differences between how laptops and desk tops operate in Win 8.1. For one,
      this laptop has a touch sensitive screen, but I avoid touching it in ham radio apps.

      Are there any developer team members copying these emails?

      Kai, KE4PT

      On 6/29/2014 5:53 PM, Bob McCormick yahoo@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
      Kai KE4PT wrote:
      "Signalink" never explicitly apperas in the device manager
      table, just "USB audio CODEC".
      Not surprised - maybe Joe W4TV can comment more on what he sees.
      I then plugged in the Signalink-USB device, and tested Digipan,
      JT-65HF, and MMTTY successfully, but the moment I started
      WSJT 1.3 the computer crashed and went into restart.
      My best guess is this is likely due to the calls that WSJT-X is making as
      compared to the other applications.  Still - an application's call (in user
      mode) to a driver (in kernel mode) shouldn't take down the operating system.
      I don't know of a way to trap the error, so I have only the
      "green screen" message which occurred on two random
      occasions while I was troubleshooting this problem earlier:
      PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA with a reference to an
      issue with the "usbaudio.sys" file
      Assuming stop code 0x50 ... having never encountered a blue/green screen in
      Windows 8 I'm not sure if its displayed similarly to Windows 7 ... normally
      after the stop code there'd be four hex parameters in parens - if those are
      available what are they?
      I forgot if you mentioned - is this 64-bit operating system or 32-bit?
      You could check the Windows event logs and see if any additional information
      can be found there.
      Typically a problem like this would be further troubleshot by reviewing the
      minidump files that are typically created when the system crashes ...
      Few other thoughts / ideas:
      If you've got anything else plugged into a USB port remove it.  The problem
      with this is sometimes internal devices are also connected to the same USB
      bus and you can't remove those.  I'm not familiar with DELL's consumer
      product line; I took a quick look at the 3138 and I can't tell what may be
      also on the USB bus that you've been connecting the audio device to - if
      Also: is there a DELL client system update (or something similarly named)
      utility on the system?  You typically run the utility and it will phone home
      and get a catalog of software for your system ... and if there's anything
      newer make that available for update.  There may be other OS drivers or even
      system firmware (not necessarily BIOS) that may impact this.  Be sure the
      system is up-to-date.  (I've received plenty of servers and Latitude systems
      that needed updates - just weeks after their manufacturer.)
      You could also post on the WSJT development list a message to see if some of
      the guys familiar with the code have any ideas what may be occurring in the
      code that could cause this.
      Bob W1QA
      Posted by: Bob McCormick <yahoo@...>
      To unsubscribe, send an email to: