12834Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT 1.3 [r3673] crashes Windows 8.1

  • Kai
    Jun 29, 2014
      Thanks for the suggestions. They did not, however, cure the problem.
      The computer is a Dell 3138 inspiron laptop, just months old with factory
      installed Windows 8.1 (not 8).

      In "Device Manager",
      under "Audio inputs and outputs" I see the entries:
           Microphone (2- USB Audio CODEC) and

      Speakers (2- USB Audio CODEC).
      Also under "Sound, video and game controllers" I see:
            USB Audio Codec
      but only when the Signalink-USB is plugged into a USB-2 port (I tried both USB-2 ports).
      When I plug into the USB-3 port the above notations are similar, except "2-" is not present.
      "Signalink" never explicitly apperas in the device manager table, just "USB audio CODEC".

      As you suggested, I deleted all three Device Manager entries, disconnected the Signalink-USB device, and shut the
      computer down, then restarted the computer.

      I then plugged in the Signalink-USB device, and tested Digipan, JT-65HF, and MMTTY successfully,
      but the moment I started WSJT 1.3 the computer crashed and went into restart.

      I repeated this delete/restart procedure on both USB-2 ports and the USB-3 port with exactly the same results.
      I also tried re-starts with the device unplugged, and the device plugged in.

      I even trfied running WSJT 1.3 in Windows-XP-SP3 compatibility mode without success.

      I don't know of a way to trap the error, so I have only the "green screen" message which occurred on
      two random occasions while I was troubleshooting this problem earlier:

      PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA with a reference to an issue with the  "usbaudio.sys" file

      I have researched many Microsoft pages on the issue, none are helpful.

      At least I have JT65 available with JT65-HF, but I'd like to transition to using JT9 as well.

      Thanks again, and I patiently await more suggestions.
      73
      Kai, KE4PT

      On 6/29/2014 2:16 PM, 'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
      Does that device use the built-in Microsoft driver?

      SignalinkUSB uses the default Microsoft usbaudio.sys driver.

      WSJT-X may be making certain calls that Digipan PSK, MMTTY and JT65HF
      are not making - hence the issue.

      There is no issue with the default usbaudio.sys driver in Windows 8 or
      8.1 (same driver).  I've been using it with my USB based sound devices
      since the Windows 8 consumer preview with no issues.

      I'd suggest using Windows Device Manager to uninstall the Signalink
      *including removing the drivers* followed by a cold boot (restart),
      connecting the USB sound device and allowing Windows to download a
      replacement driver from Windows Update.

      73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

      On 2014-06-29 1:32 PM, Bob McCormick yahoo@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:

      Kai KE4PT wrote:

      With no external USB audio device connected, WSJT 1.3
      seems to work OK, including decoding the sample files.
      Next I connect the a USB sound card (Signalink-USB).

      Windows 8.1 crashes and enters a re-start mode with
      almost any action I take in WSJT, including just moving
      the panel on the desktop. Sometimes the
      restart is immediate, sometimes it takes just a mouse action.
      On one occasion, after crashing and before restarting
      Windows popped up a green screed with the notation:
         PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA   and referenced
      an issue with "usbaudio.sys" file.

      (snip)

      The file usbaudio.sys is part of the Windows operating system - the USB
      audio class system driver.

      more info here:
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn641625(v=vs.85).a
      spx

      or this shorter link:
      http://tinyurl.com/m2bjond

      In Windows when the Plug and Play enumerator finds a compatible audio device
      it uses this driver to communicate with it.

      As I don't have a Signalink USB device I can't test this myself - maybe
      someone else can respond.  Does that device use the built-in Microsoft
      driver?  Or does it have its own driver that you need to load?

      Windows Update - everything up-to-date?

      You could try plugging the device into a different USB port.  If you've got
      it plugged into a USB3 port try a USB2 port.  Or just try a different port.

      WSJT-X may be making certain calls that Digipan PSK, MMTTY and JT65HF are
      not making - hence the issue.

      Bottom line: whatever the application is doing shouldn't crash Windows -
      this would seem to indicate either a problem with the driver or the
      hardware.

      Bob W1QA

      WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/

      Yahoo Groups Links