    Apr 28, 2014
      Here is the bible to JT65 http://hflink.com/jt65/   It's a great mode.

      N8WAC
      On Monday, April 28, 2014 6:34 PM, Jim Bennett <w6jhb@...> wrote:

      I'm equipped to do JT9/JT65 on 160 with an Inverted L. It isn't very high and I've got but two elevated (18") radials, thans to CC&R / HOA crud. But it does work and I've nearly completed WAS on 160 with it, running no more than 500 watts and doing very, very casual operating. So far, all QSO's have been CW, but I'm up for doing some JT QSO's on the band. The $64m question I have is: WHERE? I've seen several different web pages indicating different frequencies. Add to that the "danger" of (God forbid) infringing on some universally agreed upon band segments. I've seen the posts on the Yahoo Top Band reflector denouncing the poor souls who accidentally "trespass" into one of those areas. So, what's the consensus in this group as to the proper JT-mode frequency on 160 meters?

      Jim / W6JHB
      Folsom, CA

      On Monday, Apr 28, 2014, at Monday, 3:01 PM, David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD wrote:

      > tis the season not !
      >
      > i got into the jt65/jt9 gig just 2 years ago on 160m. EU is usually
      > there almost every eve during the winter with lots of USA . over this
      > time have done WAS(48) down here in North Carolina. and 12 dx including
      > a miracle qso with VK one morning out of the blue. Neither bragging nor
      > complaining, i do use the amp when i feel it is necessary. antenna is
      > hygain 18ht base loaded over the purest silica in the state with random
      > length radials (approx 35).
      >
      > have also done WAS via jt65/jt9 for 80/40/30/20/15/10
      >
      > truly the best dx mode in the ham world 1
      >
      > cu down there come next frost.
      >
      > david/wd4kpd
      >

      > On 4/28/2014 9:03 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
      >> I've been using various WSJT modes for a while, both on HF and VHF, but
      >> was busy with other things for a while and just got around to installing
      >> WSJT-X. I've been listening and sometimes transmitting on 160M over the
      >> last few nights using both JT65A and JT9. So far, I've seen only one JT9
      >> signal, and only one transmission. He was in EN34, calling CQ, and I
      >> wasn't quite ready to TX. So I waited a cycle, and stared calling CQ,
      >> beginning with 20W, and gradually increasing power in 3dB steps to 400W.
      >> At the end of an hour, not a single response.
      >>
      >> JT9 is a great mode for 160M, and 160M is a challenging band. The last
      >> time I was active on 160 JT65A, a year or two ago, I was seeing W1 and
      >> other east coast stations working VK I could usually print both sides,
      >> so I left my RX on overnight posting the the JT65HF bulletin board so
      >> that the guys could at least know that the others were there.
      >>
      >> I also have a couple of 160M antennas for which I need to do serious
      >> relative comparative performance measurements, and it seems like WSPR
      >> ought to be a good tool, but when I fired up WSPR last week with 20W
      >> into a 125 ft vertical, no one heard me, and 40W got me a report from
      >> Los Angeles. I know these antennas work -- I've worked 45 states and 14
      >> countries on 160M CW with 5W.
      >>
      >> How about it, guys? Is anyone using JT65A, JT9, or WSPR on 160M with
      >> real antennas, or is it 5W into a wet noodle?
      >>
      >> 73, Jim K9YC
      >> Santa Cruz, CA CM87

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic