12391Re: [wsjtgroup] RE: WSJT-X v1.3 r3673 startup rig control issue

  • Joe Subich, W4TV
    Feb 21, 2014
      > N1MM does change the mode and frequency of my rig when it starts.

      If that's the case it is because you have configured N1MM Logger to
      do so - probably changed "Mode Control" from the default.

      > Surely you are not asserting that the present implementation is
      > satisfactory.

      No I am not - and I have exchanged e-mail with the developers about not
      recalling the last used frequency. As far as I'm concerned, WSJT-X
      should read/display the current frequency and not make any change. I
      would suggest that it suppress decodes, not post updates to PSK Reporter
      or make decodes available to JT-Alert until the user selects
      a new band or /frequency. Further, if the band/frequency changes during
      a minute, that decodes be suppressed, no report be made to PSK Reporter
      and the decodes not be available to JT-Alert for that minute.

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV

      On 2/21/2014 6:57 PM, ANDY DURBIN wrote:
      > I'm not likely to start any application that could control my rig when I'm making an QSO in another mode. What idiot would ever do that??
      >
      > N1MM does change the mode and frequency of my rig when it starts.
      >
      > WSJT does NOT force the rig to the freq in use when it was last used. It leaves VFO B hanging out where it was before the program was started.
      >
      > Surely you are not asserting that the present implementation is satisfactory. That would be perverse in the extreme.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Andy k37yc.
      >
      >> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 17:49:39 -0500
      >> From: lists@...
      >> To: a.durbin@...; wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com
      >> Subject: Re: [wsjtgroup] RE: WSJT-X v1.3 r3673 startup rig control issue
      >>

      >> > N1MM logger, which I suspect has far more users that wsjt-x, does
      >> > take over my rig on startup. if I didn't want it to I would not
      >> > start it.
      >>
      >> First because N1MM Logger is a contest logging program you are not
      >> likely to start it while making other QSOs. Further, N1MM Logger
      >> does not change frequency or mode of the transceiver unless the user
      >> instructs it to do so.
      >>
      >> This is far different than WSJT-X which forces the transceiver to the
      >> frequency in use when WSJT-X was last used.
      >>
      >> 73,
      >>
      >> ... Joe, W4TV
      >>

      >> On 2/21/2014 5:08 PM, a.durbin@... wrote:
      >>> "I don't think choosing a band to operate on before listening or calling is that onerous."
      >>>

      >>> No it's not onerous. However it is very misleading to put a band in the selected band indicator, indicate that CAT/Split is fully operational, but have the VFOs not be on the correct freqs. it's easy enough to make an operator error without having the application provide misleading information.
      >>>

      >>> N1MM logger, which I suspect has far more users that wsjt-x, does take over my rig on startup. if I didn't want it to I would not start it.
      >>>

      >>> However, if wsjt-x provided continuous readouts of both VFO which I think is your intention, than the misleading argument goes away.
      >>>

      >>> 73,
      >>> Andy k3wyc

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic