11994Kenwood TS-850S and JT65/JT9

  • Ed Douglass
    Dec 2, 2013
      Friends,

      Transceiver is a Kenwood TS-850S.  It is connected to my computer using a W1GEE cable (rather than the Kenwood IF-232C cable) from the ACC 1 socket to a serial port (COM 4) on an XP machine.  Two COM ports (COM 3 & 4) are created by means of a PCI card.  The motherboard does not have serial ports on the I/O panel but COM 1 and COM 2 appear in Device Manager.

      Using a Signal Link interface for digital modes.  Have had success using DX4Win to make QSOs on PSK31.  Signal Link communicates with the computer via a USB port.  It communicates with the transceiver via its ACC 2 port.

      The transceiver manual does not mention "CAT" control in its description of RS-232 functions.  Many functions are listed, including "VFO A, VFO B and memory frequency selection and readout" and "VFO A, VFO B and memory frequency TX/RX setting" which look promising but may not be what is needed for JT65 and JT9.

      DX4Win can read the frequency to which the transceiver is tuned.

      I am brand new to JT65 and JT9.  So far, WSJT-X has not been able to control anything on the transceiver.  It does not read or respond to the frequency of the transceiver.  However, JT65 and JT9 signals have been decoded successfully.

      My basic question is:  is it possible to use JT65 and JT9 with this transceiver?  Full implementation?  With certain limitations?  If so, how?

      I have studied Joe's manual as well as O'Brien's and haven't been able to follow their instructions and apply them to the TS-850S.

      Your help will be appreciated.

      Ed
      AA9OZ
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic