      From: wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of k0og
      Sent: 18 August 2013 05:04
      To: wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [wsjtgroup] 10dB RX Level Shift after TX

      Greetings,

      I welcome the changes to WSJT-X v1.2 r3563, but find a bug was introduced.

      When I opened it, after just running v1.1 r 3520, I found that the TX and RX levels had shifted, which was a surprise to me. I re-adjusted the levels with the sliders and it seemed to work well. Upon closing, then successive openings, I found that the TX level is consistent from opening to opening, but I find that the RX level is 10dB lower than the previous opening. If I transmit (either to carry on a QSO or just transmit a tune signal even with the radio turned off to eliminate RF problems), the actual RX level bumps up by exactly 10dB, but the RX level slide in WSJT-X does not move, nor do the Windows sound mixer sliders move. I have tried all the different settings in the configuration for transmitting into left, right, mono, or both audio channels, and none of the settings affect this 10dB jump.

      To demonstrate this problem, do the following:

      Open WSJT-X, then adjust the RX slider in WSJT-X for some level on the received noise (e.g., 40dB). Now, open the Windows mixer panel, recording panel, and just "touch" the input (in my case I use the "Line In" fader), and you will observe the RX level to instantly drop by 10dB. Go to WSJT-X and transmit a tune tone for a little bit (just one second or so is enough), and as soon as you go back to RX mode you will see the level jump back up 10dB to the original level.

      So, it seems that some audio input level control in WSJT-X is unstable, and is altered by a TX operation.

      Another observation is this: If you follow the above test procedure, observing the precipitous 10dB drop in input audio level, and simple close WSJT-X and then re-open it, it does the same thing as if you TX briefly, and the audio level jumps back up 10dB.

      73,
      -Joe-

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic