10498Re: how much power is appropriate on 6 meters JT9?

  • John
    Jun 13, 2013
      Lets not confuse "Weak signal" with "Low power"

      A typical single hop sporadicE opening on 6M will produce very strong high-angle signals,so a simple dipole antenna and low power is often sufficient.
      But with such strong signals, why not use SSB?

      When the Es "season" is over and propogation is reduced to weak troposcatter, thats when JT9 comes into its own.
      You may then also need a better antenna and a bit more power.

      JT9 works fine on 6M, but does not like any doppler spread caused by multipath or meteor reflections,
      - ISCAT-B or JT6M will perform better in those conditions.

      John
      GW4MBN

      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas F Giella W4HM" <w4hm@...> wrote:

      > No matter the 6 meter radio wave propagation mode or conditions 5 watts is
      > all that you need with JT9 to make a successful QSO. I make many 6 meter
      > QSO's using JT-9 with as little as 1 watt.
      >
      > 1500 watts, even 100 watts would more than likely wipe out the waterfall
      > for most ham's on the receiving end.
      >
      > Just my .05 cents due to inflation.
      >
      > 73 & GUD DX,
      > Thomas F. Giella W4HM