10496Re: how much power is appropriate on 6 meters JT9?

  • kc2wuf
    Jun 13, 2013
      Bill,

      I can say I have successfully worked 17 JT65 and 2 JT9 contacts over the last month (when 6 meters was open) with 1 watt into a 6-meter dipole in my attic. Most of these were single hop to the South or Midwest, although a couple were local contacts when the band was closed. I could probably have worked many more on JT65, but I worked many of the stations last year (using more power and a 40-meter dipole up about 35 feet) during the Es season and didn't want to repeat QSOs at this time.

      Hope this helps with your efforts to try JT9 on 6 meters and hope to see you on the band sometime since I rarely see JT9 activity on 6 meters here in the U.S. It seems that Europe has been more open to trying JT9 out on the 6 meter band based on the PSKReporter map as well as spots on HamSpots.

      73 David KC2WUF

      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, bill <bill@...> wrote:

      > I understand that JT9 is a 'weak signal' mode, not necessarily a low
      > power mode.
      >
      > But as 6 meters can be a real tough band for my weeny antenna, would 100
      > watts be considered excessive?
      >
      > Would hate to incur the wrath of the power police. LOL
      >
      > --
      >
      > A father is someone who carries pictures where his money used to be.
      > W9OL-Bill H. in Chicagoland
      > webcams at http://w9ol-towercam.webhop.org:8080
      > My weatherpage at http://home.comcast.net/~w9ol/WX/HH.htm

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic