10495Re: [wsjtgroup] how much power is appropriate on 6 meters JT9?

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Jun 13, 2013
      Hello Bill,

      As one who devotes most of his activity to working with very weak signals (EME) on
      6m, I can say unequivocally that 1500w is not at all excessive! If you are faced
      with marginal propagation conditions, such as on multihop Es or EME, or extended path
      ground wave, you will benefit from using a very sensitive mode AND a good station
      with maximum ERP. The weak signal modes that have been developed by K1JT may also
      permit you to run QRP when you have favorable propagation conditions. However, they
      also have opened up tremendous opportunities to explore contact possibilities that
      were never before possible. This is certainly the situation with 6m EME, and I am
      confident will also be the case with other types of long distance VHF propagation
      that previously used to be limited to high power TV and radio stations ("indicator
      beacons"). As long as your signal is clean, I would urge you to experiment with
      what can be done with the power and modes you have available to you. Embrace the
      opportunities this new technology has provided! GL and VY 73, Lance

      --
      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)

      page (above)!
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic