1037RE: [wsjtgroup] VK - WSJT

  • Randy Tipton
    May 1, 2004

      Interesting observations on meteor scatter distances…

      Snip: It's interesting to observe that there seems to be a Meteor Scatter "Brick
      Wall" at a bit over 2400km.

      My personal best distance using meteor scatter is 2230km. The other day I copied a strong ping from

      K2TXB a distance of 2339km. The “Brick Wall” as you call it is probably somewhere around the 2400km

      distance and very real. Here I often see the 1931km or 1200 mile distance spoken of as a “barrier”.

      Meaning it is more difficult to work distances over 1200 miles requiring more time, schedules and a

      major meteor shower doesn’t hurt either. The barrier like the brick wall is not fixed and will move

      slightly a few miles which makes it all interesting.  Distances less than 1100 miles I tend to think

      of as “automatic” during morning hours except for close stations where back scatter is necessary.

      I find more rocks available for 50MHz but it appears the “barrier” and “brick wall” distances are the same

      for both bands?

      GL

      Tip