Re: [wsfa-forum] Re: Hope everybody is OK

  • Carolyn
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
      Glad to hear that everyone is again powered up. Here's what it looked like from above.

      http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=78445

      Carolyn

    • thegloriosus
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 6, 2012
        My power was finally restored last evening.

        The problem being, when the top of the transformer pole snaps off and drags down the power lines connected to it, the power company not only needs to replace the pole, but also restring all the lines and hook up a new transformer.

        At least I didn't have to wait until Friday for this to be done; but I noted that the other side of my street had power as early as Monday afternoon.

        Oh, well.

        -- Charles.

        --- In wsfa-forum@yahoogroups.com, "thegloriosus" <thegloriosus@...> wrote:

        > My power is still off as of this morning.
        >
        > The latest estimate from Dominion Virginia Power is that they ought to have 80-85% of their customers power restored by this evening, 85-95% by Thursday evening (I guess they're taking July 4th off), and the rest by the weekend.
        >
        > Hopefully, I'm in the first group, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was in the last.
        >
        > -- Charles.
        >
        > --- In wsfa-forum@yahoogroups.com, brendawriter@ wrote:
        > >
        > > We only lost electricity for a minute or so. But driving around today, there's a lot of people without power!
        > >
        > > Brenda

      • Michael Walsh
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 6, 2012
          Glad to know you finally have power!

          The crews fixing the power lines here in the Baltimore area have come as far as Oklahoma and Quebec (tho the collision of Quebecois and Baltimorese could be interesting ....)

          mjw

          On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM, thegloriosus <thegloriosus@...> wrote:

          My power was finally restored last evening.

          The problem being, when the top of the transformer pole snaps off and drags down the power lines connected to it, the power company not only needs to replace the pole, but also restring all the lines and hook up a new transformer.

          At least I didn't have to wait until Friday for this to be done; but I noted that the other side of my street had power as early as Monday afternoon.

          Oh, well.

          -- Charles.

          --- In wsfa-forum@yahoogroups.com, "thegloriosus" <thegloriosus@...> wrote:

          > My power is still off as of this morning.
          >
          > The latest estimate from Dominion Virginia Power is that they ought to have 80-85% of their customers power restored by this evening, 85-95% by Thursday evening (I guess they're taking July 4th off), and the rest by the weekend.
          >
          > Hopefully, I'm in the first group, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was in the last.
          >
          > -- Charles.
          >
          > --- In wsfa-forum@yahoogroups.com, brendawriter@ wrote:
          > >
          > > We only lost electricity for a minute or so. But driving around today, there's a lot of people without power!
          > >
          > > Brenda

        • mark
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 8, 2012
            On 07/01/12 15:53, Carolyn wrote:
            > In Silver Spring, I lost power for 27 hours -- it came back on around
            > 2 a.m. last night. However no sign of Comcast returning anytime soon;
            > I'm typing this at the Panera at Wheaton Plaza.

            I think we got it back in Garrett Forest Monday night... or was it
            Tuesday night?

            We were camping at Barbara's in Arlington, working on the house to get
            it ready for sale.

            mark