RE: [wsdl] WSDL Validator Progress

  • Matt Long
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
      How are you going to validate the schema in the types nodes????

    • Simon Fell
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
        basically the validator is reference chasing, such from the service
        element, it checks the binding(s) exists, which check that the
        portType exists and the operations match. Then it can check that the
        messages exist, and that the message parts reference types that exist.
        What problem(s) do you see ?

        Cheers
        Simon

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
          In order for the WSDL document to be valid the schema(s) and the schema
          references must also be valid. That said, I do think their is clear value
          in the document being valid X the schema, but not the schema references from
          the parts.

          What we did...
          We built our WSDL processor with reader, writer, and helper wrappers such
          that it will generate an error in the wrappers if the subclassed references
          fail (this is X the schema, but not the schema references to/from the
          parts). Also, we hold the wsdl properties in state in the helper wrapper
          for the SOAP processor and other parts of the toolset to utilize. We handle
          the schema in document by reading the reference(s) and holding the part
          schema in state as a string as it is associated directly in the object model
          to the part. The schema fragment associated with the part can now be used
          to determine any requirements associated the part....now all this being said
          the "read" will throw an exception if the schema is not properly referenced
          (this is no guarantee that the schema is valid for the part only that it is
          referenced to the part and schema fragment's internal references are valid).
          BTW, it is clearly possible to insert a valid schema and reference to a part
          and *not* be valid for the part. This case would simply throw an exception
          at the method call...hopefully. In the aforementioned the wsdl document is
          not valid, but their is no "good" way I know of verification without
          "putting your hands on it".

          The same problem will arise any unreferenced attribute values, like
          soapAction, soap:body namespace, etc.

          So, in a nutshell we validate on per operation basis

          helper.readWSDL(soapAction, [messageName], [wsdlURI], [xmlWSDL])

          where
          soapAction must be supplied, null or otherwise
          messageName is mandatory for style="rpc" and null for style="document"
          either of
          wsdlURI (uri of wsdl document)
          or
          xmlWSDL (previously loaded dom of the wsdl document)

          The result is either an error in the wsdl document or a statefull
          representation of the properties associated with a specific operation.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Simon Fell
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2001
            Hi,

            I've uploaded my first stab at this. It doesn't yet do everything i'd
            like, but i think its already useful, particularly if you're building
            WSDL files by hand.

            see www.pocketsoap.com/wsdl for the details.

            Cheers
            Simon