New member on board: lots of questions on wsdl/relax-ng/xmlrpc

  • gaetanogiunta2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
      Hello,
      I am the maintainer of a php xmlrpc library (the easy side of
      web-services ;).
      I recently picked up interest in wsdl as a general-purpose web-service
      description language, that could be used with different bindings than
      soap.
      My current goal is to find out wheter it would be possible to generate
      a wsdl file describing the services offered by an xmlrpc server.
      Unfortunately the xmlrpc xml application cannot be fully described
      using xsd, so I had to resort to writing a relax-ng specification;
      that in turn led me to writing a wsdl 2.0 file (both are online at
      http://phpxmlrpc.sf.net/wsdl).

      My main concerns are:
      - are there any toolkits / developement tools that can generate
      client-side stubs out of a wsdl 2.0 file? I have seen most tools seem
      to be stuck at wsdl 1.1
      - otoh, is there any real problem using relax-ng inside a wsdl 1.1 file?
      - are there any toolkits / developement tools that can generate
      client-side stubs based on a relax-ng schema?
      - did anyone else thread this path before or is some technical
      impossibility waiting for me just around the corner?

      Any help / suggestion would be appreciated.

      Thanks
      Gaetano Giunta
    • Anne Thomas Manes
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2005
        Keep in mind that WSDL 2.0 isn't finished yet, and until it is, I doubt you'll see very many WSDL 2.0 compilers.

        Per the WSDL 1.1 spec, XSD is the preferred and "intrinsic" type system. But it also says:

        "However, since it is unreasonable to expect a single type system grammar can be used to describe all abstract types present and future, WSDL allows type systems to be added via extensibility elements. An extensibility element may appear under the types element to identify the type definition system being used and to provide an XML container element for the type definitions. The role of this element can be compared to that of the schema element of the XML Schema language.
        <definitions .... >
        <types>
        <-- type-system extensibility element --> *
        </types>
        </definitions>"

        So, yes, you can use RelaxNG as the type system for WSDL when describing XML-RPC. I don't know of any toolkits that support it, though.

        Anne

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/I258zB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/W6uqlB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/