type attribute for Operation element

  • raviheg
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 1:35 AM
      Hello All,
      I have been trying to generate java clients using IBM's websphere and
      C# client using .NET. Websphere throws non-confirmance of WSDL
      error,but .NET succesfully consumes the WSDL and generate C# client stubs.
      WSDL
      -----------------
      <soap:binding style="document"
      <operation type="def:EDADHPOC" name="EDADHPOC">
      <soap:operation soapAction="EDADHPOC"/>
      <input name="inEDADHPOC

      Websphere throws error :
      Attribute 'type' not allowed to appear in element 'operation'.

      I went through the WSDL 1.1 standards and could not find much help
      regarding this.
      Could someone please confirm if this WSDL is as per WSDL 1.1 standards.
      Regards
      Ravi
    • Anne Thomas Manes
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4 5:52 AM
        The type attribute belongs in the <wsdl:binding> element, not in the
        <wsdl:operation> element. .NET wsdl.exe is just being forgiving, but
        the WSDL is in error.

        See http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl#_bindings:

        The grammar for a binding is as follows:

        <wsdl:definitions .... >
        <wsdl:binding name="nmtoken" type="qname"> *
        <-- extensibility element (1) --> *
        <wsdl:operation name="nmtoken"> *
        <-- extensibility element (2) --> *
        <wsdl:input name="nmtoken"? > ?
        <-- extensibility element (3) -->
        </wsdl:input>
        <wsdl:output name="nmtoken"? > ?
        <-- extensibility element (4) --> *
        </wsdl:output>
        <wsdl:fault name="nmtoken"> *
        <-- extensibility element (5) --> *
        </wsdl:fault>
        </wsdl:operation>
        </wsdl:binding>
        </wsdl:definitions>

        The name attribute provides a unique name among all bindings defined
        within in the enclosing WSDL document.

        A binding references the portType that it binds using the type
        attribute. This QName value follows the linking rules defined by WSDL
        (see section 2.1.2).

        Regards,
        Anne

        On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:35:11 -0000, raviheg <raviheg@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        > I have been trying to generate java clients using IBM's websphere and
        > C# client using .NET. Websphere throws non-confirmance of WSDL
        > error,but .NET succesfully consumes the WSDL and generate C# client stubs.
        > WSDL
        > -----------------
        > <soap:binding style="document"
        > <operation type="def:EDADHPOC" name="EDADHPOC">
        > <soap:operation soapAction="EDADHPOC"/>
        > <input name="inEDADHPOC
        >
        > Websphere throws error :
        > Attribute 'type' not allowed to appear in element 'operation'.
        >
        > I went through the WSDL 1.1 standards and could not find much help
        > regarding this.
        > Could someone please confirm if this WSDL is as per WSDL 1.1 standards.
        > Regards
        > Ravi

      • Ravindra.Hegde
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7 1:49 AM
          Hello Anne,
          Thanx for the help.
          While reading WSDL 1.1 recommendation I found that WSDL schema
          however suggests that the WSDL attached should be OK.
          Refer to Schemas (Appendix 4.1) section of the standards.
          <element name="binding" type="wsdl:bindingType"/>
          <complexType name="bindingType">
          <complexContent>
          <extension base="wsdl:startWithExtensionsType">
          <sequence>
          <element name="operation" type="wsdl:binding_operationType"
          minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
          </sequence>
          <attribute name="name" type="NCName" use="required"/>
          <attribute name="type" type="QName" use="required"/> <--------
          </extension>
          </complexContent>
          </complexType>

          Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
          Thanks and Regards
          Ravi

        • Anne Thomas Manes
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 10 12:43 PM
            There are bugs in the WSDL 1.1 schemas that have since been updated.[1].

            From the WS-I Basic Profile [2]:

            4.2.1 WSDL Schema Definitions
            The normative schemas for WSDL appearing in Appendix 4 of the WSDL 1.1
            specification have inconsistencies with the normative text of the
            specification. The Profile references new schema documents that have
            incorporated fixes for known errors.

            R2028 A DESCRIPTION using the WSDL namespace (prefixed "wsdl" in this
            Profile) MUST be valid according to the XML Schema found at
            "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/2003-02-11.xsd".

            R2029 A DESCRIPTION using the WSDL SOAP binding namespace (prefixed
            "soapbind" in this Profile) MUST be valid according to the XML Schema
            found at "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/2003-02-11.xsd".

            Although the Profile requires WSDL descriptions to be Schema valid, it
            does not require consumers to validate WSDL documents. It is the
            responsibility of a WSDL document's author to assure that it is Schema
            valid.

            [1] http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/2003-02-11.xsd
            [2] http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1-2004-08-24.html