service description language

  • ocionnaithe
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi All, I'm currently doing a report on the suitability of WSDL for a
      project we're working on, not to be used exclusively to describe web
      services, it could also be used possibly to describe EJB, JCA to name
      but a few. I was hoping though somebody may know of a few articles or
      links to comparable descriptor languages that may also be suitable,
      or if not suitable, would provide for a more balanced reason for the
      use of WSDL. Any suggestions on languages or technologies to look at
      would be most welcome.

      Thanks in advance

      Damien
    • Nirmal Mukhi
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003

        Hi,

        Using WSDL as a normalized description language has potential for great benefits. In fact the WSIF project at Apache defines WSDL bindings so EJBs, JCA and some other stuff can be described using WSDL, and also supports a WSDL-driven, protocol-agnostic API for using such services. See http://ws.apache.org/wsif for details. There are some WSIF articles online which you can probably find through google.

        Nirmal.

        "ocionnaithe" <dkenny84@...>

        09/01/2003 01:19 PM
        Please respond to wsdl

                To:        wsdl@yahoogroups.com
                cc:
                Subject:        [wsdl] service description language

        Hi All, I'm currently doing a report on the suitability of WSDL for a
        project we're working on, not to be used exclusively to describe web
        services, it could also be used possibly to describe EJB, JCA to name
        but a few. I was hoping though somebody may know of a few articles or
        links to comparable descriptor languages that may also be suitable,
        or if not suitable, would provide for a more balanced reason for the
        use of WSDL. Any suggestions on languages or technologies to look at
        would be most welcome.

        Thanks in advance

        Damien

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W6uqlB/TM

      • D
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2003
          Thanks for that Nirmal, I've had a look at the WSIF resources and given the possibility of extending wsdl to describe different bindings as illustrated I would imagine we will use WSDL as our description language. I was wondering however if you know of any other comparable description languages out there? mainly for the purposes of a comparison report before we proceed with using WSDL in the project, I've been looking on the web but so far everything comes back to WSDL. Is there nothing similar out there?

          Thanks

          Damien
          Using WSDL as a normalized description language has potential for great benefits. In fact the WSIF project at Apache defines WSDL bindings so EJBs, JCA and some other stuff can be described using WSDL, and also supports a WSDL-driven, protocol-agnostic API for using such services. See http://ws.apache.org/wsif for details. There are some WSIF articles online which you can probably find through google.

          Nirmal.

          "ocionnaithe" <dkenny84@...>

          09/01/2003 01:19 PM
          Please respond to wsdl

                  To:        wsdl@yahoogroups.com
                  cc:

          Hi All, I'm currently doing a report on the suitability of WSDL for a
          project we're working on, not to be used exclusively to describe web
          services, it could also be used possibly to describe EJB, JCA to name
          but a few. I was hoping though somebody may know of a few articles or
          links to comparable descriptor languages that may also be suitable,
          or if not suitable, would provide for a more balanced reason for the
          use of WSDL. Any suggestions on languages or technologies to look at
          would be most welcome.

          Thanks in advance

          Damien

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W6uqlB/TM

        • Anne Thomas Manes
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2003
            Damien,

            I know of no other general purpose interface definition languages. All
            other IDLs (CORBA IDL, DCE IDL, MS IDL, etc) are tied to their specific
            environment.

            You might also look at DAML [1]. It's a semantic description language as
            opposed to an interface description language. It's quite complementary to WSDL.

            [1] http://www.daml.org/

            Regards,
            Anne

          • D
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2003
              Hi, I have a question regarding the usage of the WSIF framework. As in our project we wish to generate proxy classes based on the WSDL, i.e soap service proxies using the existing WSDL4Java, are there classes included in the WSIF api that allow for parsing and possible generation of proxies (stubs) for other types of services. For instance, if we wish to generate the home & remote interface for an EJB service described in a WSDL, is there a class in the WSIF api that could be used for this?, or help in parsing the WSDL to get the required data to generate these classes?

              Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

              Thanks

              Damien

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2003
                Yes -- but you should ask this question on the WSIF mailing list.
                See http://ws.apache.org/wsif/ and
                http://ws.apache.org/wsif/mail.html

                Anne