Ouray County Bird Count

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
      Nice weather, many birders(more than 30), few
      warblers, and lots of people and traffic sums up the
      weekend.
      Our two best wildlife experiences had nothing to do
      with birds. On Saturday in the late afternoon our
      group decided to walk a trail on the west side of
      Crystal Lake. The lake is located on the west side of
      US-550 about half way between Ouray and Red Mountain
      Pass. On the trail, several yards in front of us, was
      a large lynx. It was hunting and was very interested
      in the coots and ducks on the lake. After taking a
      roll in the road, back scratching?, the lynx heading
      into the willow carr. We continued on the trail for
      about one half mile and turned around. On the way
      back another lynx appeared from the hill side and
      followed the trail of the other lynx. This lynx was
      much smaller.
      On Sunday we hiked up West Dallas Creek in the
      afternoon. Less than one half mile from the trail
      head to Blue Lakes we watched a pine martin with a
      golden-mantled ground squirrel in it's month. The
      martin was trying to cross West Dallas Creek. It
      finally found a good log to use as a bridge and was
      soon gone. I am sure the martin had a good dinner
      last night.
      Now to the birds. Few warblers were present. By far,
      the fewest I have ever seen on this count. Two days
      of birding we found on three species. One Virginia's
      Warbler, two Yellow Warbler, and a dozen Yellow-rumped
      Warbler. This is a total mystery to me.
      Our best birds on Saturday were Wood Duck at Colona,
      Solitary Sandpiper between Ridgway and Ouray on a farm
      pond, and Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Ridgway SP. A
      feedlot about 1 mile south of Ridgway along the CO-550
      had several dozen also.
      I intervertainly left Yellow-headed Blackbird off the
      list. YHBL should be a Code 3 bird.
      On Saturday our group started at Colona and ended up
      near Red Mountain Pass. We totaled 84 species and 145
      points. Four species were not seen by all of us, Wood
      Duck, Osprey, Rufous Hummingbird, and Bullock's
      Oriole. Some other hard to see species found by our
      group on Saturday were Northern Pintail, Least
      Sandpiper, Williamson's Sapsucker, and Pygmy Nuthatch.

      On Sunday the "bird of the day" were two Clay-colored
      Sparrows. These sparrows were mixed in a flock of
      Chipping and Brewer's Sparrow. The Clay-colored were
      adults and very well marked and colorful for this late
      in summer. Our whole group were able to study them at
      close range for as long as we wanted as the birds fed
      on the ground. In twenty plus years of birding
      western Colorado Brenda and I have seen this species
      only four times, Carbondale, Naturita twice and
      yesterday. All our records have been in September
      between 1-15.
      We found a Northern Goshawk on the trail to Blue
      Lakes. Other good birds "on day two" were more
      Williamson's Sapsuckers, Brown Creeper, Golden-crowned
      Kinglet all on Dallas Divide, and Northern Mockingbird
      at the city park in Ridgway. Birds not seen by
      everyone in our group were Northern Goshawk, Great
      Horned Owl, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, and
      Northern Mockingbird. Sunday our group started below
      Ridgway Dam and drove through Pleasant Valley and up
      Dallas Creek. On Sunday we found 77 species and
      scored 121 points. On the two days combined our group
      found 107 species and scored 196 points. Brenda got 5
      new county species and I got 3.

      I have several reports from other groups and will type
      up a complete list of birds. Many other groups found
      good birds and I will include them in a summary with
      the total list. We had a group from the east slope
      which I haven't heard from. We saw them visit the
      Ouray Sewer Ponds. What a place to find birders!!! I
      also heard they were on top of Mt Sneffels.
      More later,
      Brenda, Kathy, George and Coen

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2007
        Four birding teams work Ouray County on Saturday and
        four more groups birded on Sunday. A total of 136
        species were found, one more species than last years
        135. Last year the count was held one week earlier.

        A complete list of birds has been attached to this
        report. This list includes last years species under
        T-06 and this years under T-07. Look for the tabs at
        the lower left hand side of the bird list for page 2
        and page 3 as the list in on three different spread
        sheets.

        This year several species were reported only by one
        team. I will list those species and the team that
        found them.

        Blue-winged Teal; (Flycatcher Five) Vic Zerbi, Brenda
        Wright, George Steele, Kathey Graaff and Coen Dexter.
        Ring-necked Duck; (Flycatcher Five)
        Ruddy Duck; (Gunnison/Ouray Gnatcatchers) Dennis
        Steckel, Kathy Schupp, Margaret Kaufmann, Sue Hirshman
        and Sue Babcock.
        Pied-billed Grebe; (Flycatcher Five)
        Northern Harrier; (Gunnison/Ouray Gnatchatchers)
        Sharp-shinned Hawk; (Avian Avengers) Andrea Robinsong
        and Jacob Cooper.
        Cooper's Hawk; (Gunnison/Ouray Gnatcatchers)
        Norther Goshawk; (Flycatcher Five)
        Golden Eagle; (Flycatcher Five)
        Merlin; (Avian Avengers)
        Wilson Snipe; (Flycatcher Five)
        Herring Gull; (Gunnison/Ouray Gnatcatchers)
        White-throated Swift; (Flycatcher Five)
        Lewis Woodpecker; (Flycatcher Five)
        Williamson's Sapsucker; (Flycatcher Five)
        Olive-sided Flycatcher; (Flycatcher Five)
        Plumbeous Vireo; (Flycatcher Five)
        Cassin's Vireo; (Flycatcher Five)
        Warbling Vireo; (Flycatcher Five)
        Tree Swallow; (Avian Averngers)
        Northern Rough-winged Swallow; (Gunnison/Ouray
        Gnatcatchers)
        Bushtit; (Flycatcher Five)
        Rock Wren; (Flycatcher Five)
        Canyon Wren; (Flycatcher Five)
        American Dipper; (Gunnison/Ouray Gnatcatchers)
        Golden-crowned Kinglet; (Flycatcher Five)
        Ruby-crowned Kinglet; (No Name Nutcracker) Tom and Kay
        McConnell
        Hermit Thrush; (No Name Nutchracker)
        Nashville Warbler; (Grand Valley Goldfinches) Lois
        Cunningham and Anna Hansen
        Black-throated Gray Warbler; (Flycatcher Five)
        Common Yellowthroat; (Flycatcher Five)
        Spotted Towhee; (Flycatcher Five)
        Savannah Sparrow; (No Name Nutcracker)
        Red Crossbill; (Flycatcher Five)

        Only one species was reported that is considered out
        of season. The Merlin was worth 4 points and it was
        reported to the Avian Avengers earned 8 points total
        for this special find.

        Rare species found in the county were Semipalmated
        Plover worth 5 points. The plover was found by the
        Flycatcher Five and reported for 10 total points.
        Several other groups refound the bird.
        A pair of Greater Yellowlegs were found by the Avian
        Avengers worth 5 points and reported for 10 points.
        Several other groups refound the birds.
        A Semipalmated Sandpiper was found by the Flycatcher
        Five worth 5 points and reported for 10 points.
        Several other groups did refind this sandpiper.
        A Herring Gull was reported, a 5 point species, by the
        Gunnison/Ouray Gnatcatchers. It was reported to the
        station for 10 points but none of the other groups
        could refind the bird.
        The last rare report, actually two reports, one by the
        Grand Valley Goldfinches and one by the Avian Avengers
        were of Clay-colored Sparrow. Both of the reports
        were worth 10 points for each teams. The birds were
        found at two different locations.

        On Saturday the Flycatcher Five found 88 species. Two
        of the species had to be thrown out because the group
        had 5 species that not everyone in the group had seen.
        Canada Goose and Red-winged Blackbird where removed.
        There score was 144. The Gunnison/Ouray Gnatcatchers
        were second with 66 species and 105 total points.

        On Sunday the Flycatcher Five found 91 species. Three
        of the species had to be thrown out beacuse the group
        had 6 species that not everyone in the group had seen.
        Red-breasted Nuthatch, Wilson's Warbler, Clark's
        Nutcracker. The team scored 141 points. The Avian
        Avengers found 71 species and scored a very close
        second, 133 points.

        The Flycatcher Five also did the two day competition
        and found 116 species and scored 192 points. They
        were the only team to work two complete days.
        Coen Dexter

        http://farechase.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2009
        Greetings,
        Brenda and I will be camped at Ridgway State Park both Friday and Saturday nights. We will have a table set up in the lobby at the visitor center on the hill at the state park. Posted will be our campsite number.

        If you would like to join us birding just find us at our campsite and let us know or come to the visitor center between 7:30 AM and 8:00 AM on Saturday or Sunday.

        We know the best birding spots and will be birding them. We mostly walk when birding. We will need to do some driving just to get to the good places.

        We don't expect a lot of birders so one or two groups will be all we need.
        If you need more info I am attaching two attachments.
        Coen and Brenda
        Message 4 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
          Best birds on the Ouray County bird count were Semipalmated Plover and Western Sandpiper at Ridgway Reservoir, one Three-toed Woodpecker, several Cassin's Vireos, one Tennessee Warbler and several Townsend's Warblers. Tomorrow, I will attach a complete list for the count.

          On Saturday morning in driving to Ridgway I stopped at the Redvale Pond. Present was a Pectoral Sandpiper. The Redvale pond is at the perfect level for shore birds. Tonight coming home, the pond had several Killdeer, one Wilson's Phalarope and on American Pipit.

          Yesterday, Tuesday afternoon, after working the banding station Brenda and I drove over to Silverton to check out birds and dragonflies. Just northeast of Silverton there is a great wetlands and several small lakes. We were able to find a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher at 9,300 feet elevation in the willows. Present in a small sparrow flock along the railroad tracks was a Vesper and a Savannah. The late Dr. Bruce McLean who has generated an annotated checklist for San Juan County does not list Savannah Sparrow. This may be a new county record. If not please let me know!
          Black Meadow Hawks were also present.

          Good birding,
          Coen and Brenda
          Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011
          • 1 Attachment
          • 77 KB
          Greetings,
          All birders that want to experience birding Ouray County are welcome to join us on Saturday, 10th or Sunday 11th.  We will meet at Ridgway State Park visitor center at 8:00 AM each morning.  Groups can head out and do any part of the county that they want.  Brenda and I welcome anyone that wants to go with us.  We will be mostly walking trails around the state park and the Uncompahgre River on Saturday.  On Sunday we will be doing the high county and lots more walking.
          Attached is a Ouray County bird list.  Results of the last four years are shown in the list.  We will have a table at the visitor center with a few lists available for those that choose not to download and make their own copy.

          There is a new birding game in town if you want to play.  Before the birding begins predict what species that you will find from the Ouray County list and mark them.  After the day of birding is complete score yourself in this way.  Award 2 points for each species you found that you predicted.  One point is taken away for each species that you did not find on your predicted list.  Also, another point is taken away for those species you did find that you did not predict.
          Example; A birder predicted to find 50 species and recorded them on their list.  At the end of the day 35 species were found that were on there list.  Thirty-five multiplied 2 is 70 points.  Now 15 species were not found, 50-35=15.  One point for each species must be subtracted so that leaves the birder with 70-15=55 points.  Now, the birder also had good luck and found 12 species that were not expected and not on the predicted list.  That good luck cost the birder 12 more points.  Now the final score is 55-12=43.  This is a good score in a tough game.  If you don't believe me, just try it.  One can end up with a negative score and did last year.
          If you need more info just e-mail me and I will help you out if I can,
          Coen
          Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7, 2012
            Again we are holding the Ouray County Bird Count in conjunction with the banding station at Ridgway State Park on 15th, Saturday and 16th, Sunday, September.  Attached are two files.  One file is for the rules of the bird count if you want to organize a team to play or do a solo and play the birding game by yourself.  If you just want to see birds I will be at the visitor center at Ridgway State Park on both Saturday and Sunday morning at 8:00 AM and you are more than welcome to bird with me as we travel around to some of the hotspots in the county.  Brenda will be working the banding station on Saturday morning but will join me Saturday afternoon and all day on Sunday.

            Another very simple game to play, if so inclined, it to predict before the count what species you will find.  You are awarded 2 points for each species that you find that you predicted you would see.  For each species you predicted you would see that you could not find you receive 1 penalty point.  For each species you find that you did not predict you would see is also 1 penalty point.  The game is easy but don't be too surprised if your score ends up with a negative value.  This game works best if it is played individually instead of a group.

            Both games can be played at the same time if you would like.  The attached Ouray County Checklist will be a real help if playing either game.  The checklist is on three pages so when printing look for the taps at the bottom of the screen so you get all three pages.
            I will be home all next week so if you have any questions e-mail me or call at 864-7195.
            See you in Ridgway,
            Coen and Brenda

            Message 7 of 8 , Sep 4, 2014
              We will meet at the Ridgway State Park visitor center both Saturday and Sunday, 6th and 7th at 8:00 AM. There is a 15 minute grace period if you do not have or have not purchased a park pass. We will car pool and cars without passes will have to be moved off the State Park property. Day passes are $7.
              The Ridgway Reservoir has been lowered in the last couple of weeks. On 27th of Aug in route to the CFO Convention at the reservoir we found these shorebird species; 2 Semipalmated Plovers, 9 American Avocets, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 Marbled Godwit, 1 Western Sandpiper, 3 Least Sandpipers, and 15 Baird's Sandpipers. Returning from the convention on 1 Sep, present were 5 American Avocets, 3 Baird's Sandpipers, 1 Western Sandpiper, and 3 Least Sandpiper.
              Our weather should be very good for birding. There is a chance of rain both days. When the monsoon is strong migrating birds become trapped in the valley which cause what birders call, "a fall out". It is suppose to rain both Monday and Tuesday which could even be better birding those two days.
              Good birding,
              Coen and Brenda
            • Geoff Tischbein