birdy notes

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2006
      here are some miscellaneous notes from the past week or so:

      8-14
      several weeks after Cheryl Day posted about that she found band-tailed pigeons in hotchkiss, I refound at least one calling bird right where she had seen them...at the west entrance to Delta County Fairgrounds. The fact that 2 or 3 weeks had past and there was still at least one bird present, and knowing that there is almost never just 1 band-tailed pigeon, I looked around and realized that this particular location is very similar to the place where these birds bred in a large colony at the south end of Montrose.  That agricultural place along the Uncompaghre River was eradicated when Cobble Creek Golf Course and development replaced it.
       hmmmm...guess we should watch this place carefully next summer.....
      Also of note....at the time that bird was calling so were 3 other pigeon species...rock pigeon, mourning dove and eurasian-collared dove.

      8-20
      after a very quiet week in my yard during which hummer numbers definitely have been diminishing and my large flock of lesser goldfinch has all but gone, this morning brought some treats:
      a singing grey vireo right by my house  was in clear view giving me a good look.  This is the second time I have heard then seen a grey vireo here.  nice!  [habitat is less than 1/2 mile away as the vireo flies, but my yard is more typical habitat for plumbeous vireo.
      also a warbling vireo was singing again this morining. I have heard one singing throughout the summer, although my location seems pretty low for this species.
      I have been fortunate to regularly see common nighthawks here in the evenings and they persist.
      After not being in evidence for much of the summer, noisy kingfishers are back to entertain me.
      Yellow warblers persist as do western wood peewees.  An oriole was present yesterday and this a.m.

      8-18
      had a beautiful cosmic hike with Larry Arnold on the Uncompaghre Plateau...lots of birds, critters, butterflies, dragonflies, magnificent scenery and 'SHROOMS galore!! ...and solitude...we had the trail all to ourselves until we were ready to leave...aaahhhhh.
      I had a wonderful look at a wonderful bird but unfortunately Larry couldn't refind it. With a big mixed flock of chickadees, warblers and the likes, one bird flew from tree to tree in front of me, possibly in response to my pishing. When it landed in a small spruce right in front of me I had an excellent look at its back and head...and WOW! I had a golden-winged warbler!

      Can you believe it's falll migration already?!!!!!!!!!
      good birding!
      andrea robinsong
      hotchkiss