Craig Birds

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2006
      I drove up today to Craig to look for birds at Loudy-Simpson Park. I
      expected a real fallout since heavy rain was common in northwest
      Colorado last night. There was a good number of birds at L-S but not
      a fallout. Many Yellow, Wilson's and Townsend's Warblers, Chipping
      Sparrows, Catbirds, House Wrens, etc.- plus one adult male Nashville
      Warbler (found when I had about given up looking after 2 hours). Also
      (re) found one Northern Waterthrush. Also one Warbling Vireo. No
      Buntings of any flavor.

      On my way home stopped at Gravel Pits - literally no shorebirds
      because of earthmoving endeavors. Also dropped in on Dona Hilkey at
      here new home on 43 Road near Meeker and lucked into a Calliope
      Hummingbird.

      Vic Zerbi
    • Victor Zerbi
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
        Forrest Luke called me this afternoon before leaving town for the
        Labor Day weekend. He visited Loudy-Simpson park this morning. He
        asked me to put his sightings on the WSBN.

        The Northern Waterthrush remains around the bridge. Cassin's and
        Plumbeous Vireo were in the northeast corner. No Nashville Warblers
        were seen today.

        Vic Zerbi
      • Forrest Luke
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24, 2007

          Hi All,

          I stopped at the WFMC Gravel Pit ponds south of Craig last evening and encountered several FOY birds. The highlight was a first spring male Red-breasted Merganser, followed closely by a flock of 15 Marbled Godwits. Other firsts included two Snowy Egrets, and singles of Bank and Cliff Swallows and American Pipit. Other non-FOY birds included a flock of 30 or so AW Pelicans and a 40ish flock of ibis. Mystery birds included a pair of Scaup that played hide and seek with me behind a pond island and looked suspiciously like greaters, but I couldn’t confirm my suspicion.

          Cheers,

          Forrest Luke

          Craig