Craig Area Update

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2006

      I went out last evening to check on the birds seen the previous day at Loudy-Simpson Park and the WFMC Gravel Pit. The bird composition at L-S was about the same as Saturday—the N Waterthrush was still present (albeit elusive), I only saw one Nashville, while numbers of Townsend’s had increased from 4-5 to 9-10, and Wilson’s had increased to about a dozen. A few newcomers joined the L-S bird community on Sunday—a single Olive-sided Flycatcher, at least three Lazuli Buntings and a couple of seemingly early Orange-crowned Warblers.

      The Willet flock at the gravel pit was gone and the wandering Sora was not seen, but most of the other shorebird species seen Saturday were still there.

      I forgot to mention that on Saturday we had a group of six Burrowing Owls in a dog down about a mile south of Lay off CR 17. The dog town is found at a spot where CR17 makes a sharp turn to the right (west).

      Forrest Luke