Fwd: shorebirds

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9 1:06 PM
      Greetings,
      Saturday, 5 August, a few shorebirds were present at
      Miramonte Reservoir in San Miguel County. I have
      attached four pictures for you to ID. One species is
      a record early migrant for western Colorado.
      I have not seen the Lesser Nighthawks again. I have
      been out at the sewer ponds on several occasions.
      On the evening of 7 August, I did see an owl hunting
      over the marsh to the southwest of the sewer lagoons.
      The medium size owl has a strange flight behavior. It
      wings would flap, then freeze for a second or two then
      flap again as it passed low over the marsh. When the
      wings were frozen they were at 45 degrees upward,
      horizontal or 45 degrees downward. Once, while
      setting on a post, I got a short look and could see
      small, pointy ear-tuffs. I don't think it is a
      Long-eared Owl. Face and ear-tuffs were not correct
      for this species unless it is a juvenile. I have
      never seen Great Horned Owls without large ear tuffs
      except for young birds. I tried again for the owl
      last night but had no luck.
      Coen
      Note: forwarded message attached.

      http://mail.yahoo.com