Garfield/Delta/Mesa Birds (long)

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2006
      After finally getting two Calliope Hummingbirds at my feeders in
      Glenwood Springs last night, I headed to Paonia to look for the same
      birds at the feeders of Jason Beason. When I got there at 7 AM, he
      warned me he had not seen any CAHU the previous day or yet this
      morning. I sat down at his dinning room table with a cup of coffee
      and almost immediately a female/immature Calliope Hummingbird showed
      up. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good --- and this theme
      continued the rest of my trip.

      We then unsuccessfully looked for Gray Catbird which had nested just
      outside his yard. Still feeling good I took off for shorebirds at the
      Payne Siding Res and Fruitgrower's Res. There were a number of
      American Avocets, White-faced Ibis, and Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs
      as well as many ducks, grebes, gulls and pelicans. At Fruitgrowers,
      there were five Dowitchers including three well marked juveniles.
      Unfortunately, they were all clearly Long-billed Dowitchers. There
      was also surprisingly one juvenile Herring Gull. It gave me a very
      good flyby-up close up then landed about 20 feet from me.

      Then on to Confluence Park (at noon). I lucked into an Eastern
      Kingbird which was another new Delta bird for me --- and my 900th
      tick in the five county West Central List Area. With luck like that,
      I decided to try a Sora tape at one of the ponds. I had done this
      many times here before without success. I did not really expect any
      at this time of years or time of day but said "Why not - I'm here."
      Immediately a Sora clearly responded from the middle of the cattails.
      On the second attempt a couple of minutes later, it called again from
      half way to me. On the third attempt, it called from the edge close
      to me. It did not ever show itself, but, based upon many failures to
      even get a Sora to respond previously in Delta county, I was quite
      happy and felt far too lucky.

      So then I headed north of the park (1 PM) to look for Western Screech-
      Owl in a tree that had been pointed out to me. Now I had tried for
      this species at least 8 times before in this tree without success. I
      simply hoped to use a tape and get the bird to pop out of its hole.
      First time I used the tape no luck. Second time, bird did not appear
      at hole but one started to call from a backyard down the street. I
      went there and talked to the home-owner. I was told they had small
      owls often calling in their backyard and they had seen the baby owls
      earlier in the years. I got permission to enter the backyard and
      tried my tape again. The owl called again once but I could never find
      it. I will return another day at a better time of day.

      On the way home, I then stopped for my first visit ever at Cheney
      Res. 45 White-faced Ibis and 15 Wilson's Phalarope's were there.

      Great day. Lots of luck. I'll take it.

      Vic Zerbi