RFAS hummingbird trip

  • Steve Bouricius
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2006
      Yesterday, we enjoyed hosting a hummingbird banding day for the Roaring
      Fork Audubon Society, what a nice group of people! We are currently
      using about 4 gallons of sugar water a day in 52 feeders scattered
      around the yard. In a casual day of banding we captured 50 birds
      including 49 newly banded and 1 bird that had been banded last year. We
      were not able to catch any of the several Broad-tails in the yard. The
      Rufous's were abundant and kept everything stirred up all day. Here's
      the breakdown by species age and sex. HY = hatch year/immature, AHY =
      after hatch year/adult, RUHU = Rufous hummingbird, BCHU = Black-chinned,
      CAHU = Calliope:

      HY M RUHU 13 HY M BCHU 8 HY M CAHU 3
      HY F RUHU 7 HY F BCHU 4
      HY U RUHU 1

      AHY M RUHU 2 AHY M BCHU 6
      AHY F RUHU 0 AHY F BCHU 4 AHY F CAHU 1
      -------------------- --------------------- ----
      ----------------
      23 22
      4 Total = 49 birds banded

      One recapture, AHY M BC banded on 08/18/2005 as HY. Fattest bird was a
      male Rufous weighing 4.6 grams, the lightest was a Calliope weighing 2.6
      grams.

      Thanks to all who came and made it a very enjoyable day!

      Steve and Debbie Bouricius

      P.S.: Bill Lockwood, we found your glasses case sans glasses. Your
      address is a bit obscured, would you write to let us know where to mail
      it? Also, to those who got tagged by our recently painted purple garden
      chair, my sincere apologies! Please write, I would like to make
      amends.... Steve