Gunnison Birds

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
      Yesterday after work, I drove over Kebler Pass to Jim Berry's home.
      Saw Calliope, Rufous and Broad-tailed Hummingbirds. Then I drove up
      past Gothic and camped at the Washington Gulch Trailhead. This
      morning I walked about 3 1/2 miles of the trail. I found Lazuli
      Bunting, Red Crossbills, Brown Creeper, Gary Jay, Ruby-crowned
      Kinglet, and other pine forest birds. I probably had Golden-crowned
      Kinglet but the lighting was horrible and the time too brief - not
      countable. I may have also heard a distant Three-toed Woodpecker
      rapping but couldn't confirm it either.

      This is a great trail. Try it.

      Vic Zerbi
    • Victor Zerbi
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007
        I had the chance to run down to Gunnison yesterday. Near Somerset I
        found Black-throated Gray Warblers in the PJ. Could not find Juniper
        Titmouse, Pinyon Jays, or Gray Flycatcher. I will try again. The
        habitat looks good. On Kebler Pass, I had 4 flying Purple Martins. On
        Indian Creek Road, I saw Grace's Warbler and Western Bluebirds. Again
        could not locate the Verry on the Neversink Trail. Saw Poorwills and
        a Great Horned Owl on my late evening return trip over Kebler. Tried
        but no luck calling for Flams.

        Vic Zerbi
      • nic korte
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007

          I was doing an Atlas block and found a pair of sandhill cranes 1.5 mi past the Vega/Silt turnoff east of Collbran--n. side of road--couldn't see any progeny, but view was partially-blocked by hillside, fence and no trespassing signs.  Has this been a previous location for breeders--isn't on the previous Atlas survey?

          Going on toward Silt, 0.45 mi after end of pavement, I stopped for a listen. I'm not a great birder-by-ear, but after two different days of close encounters with Least Flycatchers at the CFO convention last weekend, I can't think what else it was, but never saw more than movement.  Habitat appeared perfect as compared to Loudy-Simpson or Neversink (except for the traffic).  I didn't chase because of more menacing fences and signs and traffic. The bird came within ~10 yards 2x, but a flotilla of trucks chased it away both times (you only get a minute or so)--the last time it either stopped calling or left the vicinity.  (The truck traffic on this road has to be experienced to be believed!)    Anyway, I found 4 nests (Dusky Flyc, W Wood Peewee, Waxwings, McWarbler), had a calling willow flycatcher and saw many of the expected riparian species.

          Nic Korte

          Picture this � share your photos and you could win big!
        • Rich Levad
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007
            In the past few years SACR have been reported in the breeding season in at least two locations up that way (both by Larry Arnold, I believe):
            1) On the right side of the Collbran-Silt road (330E road) 2.9 miles from the Vega turnoff.  Located between two  residences, one is the Foster residences at 67289 330 E Rd.
            2) East of Collbran, 20 meters north of 330 East Road, approximately one half mile east of Vega Reservoir turnoff, my in old broken down barn/house.

            Rich Levad

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007
              Nic and Rich,

              Here's a photo I took of one there on June 17, 2005, when doing an RMBO
              transect nearby. On June 20, I posted this comment to WSBN:

              "The bird was foraging in a meadow of tall grass next to the road,
              looking for mice maybe? Note the deep mud rust stain on this bird, a
              stark difference from the mostly gray birds seen in migration.

              The Birds of Western Colorado mentions that one or two Sandhill pairs
              nest in the Buzzard Creek drainage east of Collbran, which is where I
              saw this bird. It was about 1/2 mile east of the Vega Reservoir
              turnoff, on Road 330E, near an old broken down barn/house by the road.
              I was able to watch from about 60 feet, the closest I've ever been to a
              crane."

              Steve Bouricius
              Palisade