Lesser Nighthawks and Sandhill Cranes

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      A couple of weeks ago Andrew Spencer reported Lesser
      Nighthawks at Dove Creek. I was in the area a few
      days later but did not see them. In fact I only saw
      one Common Nighthawk. It has been several years since
      I have seen any Lesser Nighthawks in western Colorado.
      Anyway, tonight Brenda and I went to do a little
      birding at the Nucla Sewer Ponds. Guess what? We saw
      both a male and female Lesser Nighthawk and several
      Common Nighthawks. There may be more than two Lesser
      Nighthawks or we may have been seeing the same ones
      over and over. The Nucla Sewer Ponds are about one
      mile west of town and a public road allows great
      access. We will spend the next couple of nights out
      there to gather more info on the nighthawks. This is
      very late date for this species which is normally only
      seen in spring or early summer in Colorado.
      On the way home we again located our local family of
      Sandhill Cranes. Both kids are doing well. I have
      yet to determine how many pair of cranes nest here
      each year.
      Rain, .52 inches in last 24 hours.
      Coen and Brenda

      http://mail.yahoo.com