weekend birds

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      first, a couple of notables that seem to be regulars around my place:
      common nighthawk
      black-capped chickadee
      broadtailed hummer
      caliope hummer
      and then today there's a vulture on my lawn picking at what the new dog
      drug in ...a whole rotting deer carcass [and this dog weighs 30 pounds!!!!]

      On Sunday I started at the s. paynes siding reservoir across from the
      redlands mesa turnoff on highway 92 between delta and hotchkiss. Then I
      visited fruitgrowers, which is much higher now and has lots of good mud.
      then up on the grand mesa for a 4 hour hike in the county line area.
      Highlights:
      S. Paynes Siding Res
      covey of chuckar
      ibis, pelicans, avocets, willet, spotted sandpipers, peeps, ducks,
      geese....nothing unanticipated but a place that should be checked
      regularly...good mud

      Fruitgrowers:
      juvie Virginia Rail peering through the reeds close to the road on the
      n. side...which I think looks like Sweetwater in Tuscon now but smells
      better.
      Franklins Gulls, either 2 or 4
      Am. Bittern flying across road
      many many sandpipers of various sizes..some middle-sized that I couldn't
      make out well enough for id
      wilsons phalaropes
      avocets including juvies
      golden eagle perched right over my head on a pole

      County Line, Grand Mesa
      adult goshawk, flying just over the tree tops and calling!
      a cazillion red crossbills..everywhere!
      three-toed woodpecker at Little Bear Campground
      a pr. of pine grosbeaks landed just a few yards from me when I got out
      of my car. they were feeding in the gravel. The male caught a big spider
      and fed it to the female.

      good birding!
      andrea robinsong, hotchkiss