Blue-throated Hummingbird

  • Jim Beatty
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2006
      Hi WSBNers,

      This evening I saw the female Blue-throated Hummingbird and based on a 15 second look before it was chased away, I am 99% sure of the ID.  I observed most of the critical marks, but not all.  This bird makes irregular, erratic, and short evening visits.  It is visiting a feeder at the Durango Mountain Resort ski area condos.  I can provide more details and directions for anyone interested in trying to see this bird.  My phone is 970-385-0184 or you can e-mail me.  The property owners are willing to have outside visitors, but will limit in home visitors.

      I spent parts of two days for one brief look and no photographs.  This bird may establish a more regular pattern, but we are still near the peak of the wild flowers season in western Colorado and it's obviously spending most of its time somewhere else.  To our knowledge it has not visited other feeders in the area.

      For those who don't believe that lightning strikes twice in the same spot, this bird is visiting the same feeders that hosted LaPlata County's second White-eared Hummingbird last summer!

      Jim Beatty
      Durango
    • Jacob C Cooper
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 8:56 AM
        Hi all,

        At about 7:30 last night, the Blue-throated Hummingbird was calling fairly
        often and put in a brief appearance at the trumpet vine. the hummingbird
        seemed prefer the flowers near the top of the power pole with the vine on it.

        Good birding,

        Jacob Cooper
      • Brandon Percival
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2 5:34 AM
          Are there any photos of this bird yet?  There are very few accepted records of this species for Colorado, and really none in recent years.

          Thanks,

          Brandon Percival
          Pueblo West, CO