Re: [wsbn] Delta County burrowing owl

  • Bill Day
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2006
      Bill and I looked for the burrowing owl Friday evening, with no luck.
      But we did see an unusual mockingbird. It was very thin, and was the
      only gray on it was it's head. The white markings were all correct, but
      it was dark all over with a gray head. It kept flying to the ground and
      jerking it's wings up over it's back to scare insects out of hiding, as
      shown in the Sibley field guide. It was enjoyable watching, as we had
      never gotten to see this behaviour before.

      We led a field trip for Black Canyon Audubon yesterday up Kebler pass,
      and some highlights were seeing a young peregrine falcon by Marcellina
      Mt; fox sparrows, willow flycatchers and purple martins.

      On the home front, we still have not seen a rufous hummer at our house,
      although we have tons of black-chins and Bill has to fill all four
      feeders every day. The most excitement around here was about two weeks
      ago, when in the space of one week we had a mature bobcat, young bobcat,
      and a badger on our front porch. The front of our house is all glass,
      and these creatures were only about 10' away from the house. What next,
      we wonder? Hey, we don't have a large variety of birds here in the
      'dobes, but it is always interesting...

      Cheryl Day
      Hotchkiss