Moffat County birds

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2006
      Last night Dona Hilkey, her sister, Forrest Luke and I tried to
      refind the Moffat Short-eared Owls. We found two thanks primarily to
      Dona who had pinned down where they were roosting. We also saw
      Bewick's Wren, Swainson's Hawk and Sage Thrashers.

      I then camped on Black Mountain. After a two hour search this
      morning, I refound the Three-toed Woodpeckers on the 1185 Trail. I
      also saw Red Crossbills, Pine Grosbeaks, both Kinglets, Gray Jays,
      Clark's Nutcrackers, Hermit Thrushes, and two Band-tailed Pigeons. I
      missed the Swainson's Thrushes and Cassin's Finches seen recently.

      Then I headed to Lay where I found a Burrowing Owl entering and
      leaving his burrow.

      I made a final stop at Rio Blanco Lake on the way home. The lake is
      very high. Even so, I found one American Avocet.

      Vic Zerbi