Today in the Roaring Fork Valley

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2014
      Returning home from a cuckoo survey this morning I visited Spring Valley above Glenwood.  Near the sod farm marsh were three Sandhill Cranes, 2 adults and 1 juvi.  I know of no breeding records in Garfield County.  I was in Spring Valley during the third week of May and saw no Sandhill Cranes, but may have just missed them (???).  Also since the hay fields had just been cut Savannah Sparrows were concentrated in the tall grass around the marsh, a dozen or more in the elk fence at any time.

      Yesterday cuckooing on the Eagle River between Dotsero and Gypsum I discovered that 100% Deet is my friend, no cuckoos though and thousands of mosquitos keeping 4 feet away from me.  Fledgling birds  were in every grove yesterday, catbirds, pewees, robins, vireos, Yellow Warblers.  A juvi Band-tailed Pigeon watched from a dead branch while twenty or so adults ate berries in the shrubs along the river.  At one point I was scolded by a chat that didn’t like the cuckoo tape.  Nice couple of days!

      Tom McConnell
      Glenwood Springs