RE: [wsbn] Cooper's Hawks

  • Terry Meyers
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2006

      I think that the progress of the nest Tom saw is fairly typical for Cooper's hawks in the area.  I've looked at 25-30 COHA nests on the Roan Plateau the last couple of months, and the earlier breeders are just beginning to fledge young.  I'm attaching a photo of a nest I looked at today.  This pair is at higher elevation (8400'), but I found one yesterday at 5700' that had young about the same age.  Sharp-shinned hawks are definately a little later.  The one I found yesterday had three downy young with very little feather development.

      Terry Meyers

      From: "Tom & Kay McConnell" <immac@...>
      To: "'wsbn ygroups'" <wsbn@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [wsbn] Cooper's Hawks
      Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 06:23:43 -0600

      Yesterday we visited friends on Cattle Creek (between
      Glenwood & Carbondale) and we were shown a Cooper�s Hawk nest. (Elev
      6400�) The nest is in a small stand of narrow-leafed Cottonwoods in the
      bottom of a gully.  Those lone cottonwoods are surrounded by thousands of
      acres of Pinyon Pine.  (Pretty much as described in BOWC)

      Three young hawks were in the nest tree, two out on the
      branches appeared ready to fledge.  The third was in the nest and still
      had a lot of downy feathers to lose.  The �Birder�s Handbook�
      on COHA says 30 days incubation, 30 more to fledge, and 30+ of dependence on
      the adults.  These birds still have a long ways to go.

      Tom