Final EA and FONSI for new parking area @ Fruitgrowers

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2014
      Released On: July 08, 2014

      Reclamation Releases a Final Environmental Assessment for Constructing a Parking Lot near Fruitgrowers Reservoir

      GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. - Reclamation announced today that it has released a final environmental assessment and Finding of No Significant Impact for a license agreement to allow Delta County to construct, operate, and maintain a parking area at Fruitgrowers Reservoir. Fruitgrowers Reservoir is located near Eckert, Colo., the parking area will consist of a 20 car parking lot and boundary fence. The parking area would address safety concerns by removing cars and pedestrians from the shoulder of the North Road.
      The final environmental assessment and Finding of No Significant Impact is available on our web site or a copy can be received by contacting Reclamation.

      I did not see the final EA there when I looked, just the draft. I suppose someone will notice and post it one of these days, but BuRec is not great at keeping current news flowing (pun intended).

      I really do not expect that parking lot to reduce the number of people, me included, who walk or drive the causeway looking at birds.  Maybe some parking on crane days, but 20 sites is a fraction of the use on those days.  We'll see.

    • Jon Horn
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2014

        This is something that the Black Canyon Audubon Society has been working on with Delta County and the Bureau of Reclamation, along with reduced speed limits across the causeway.  The whole idea is to try to make use of the causeway by birdwatchers as safe as it can be.  In addition, the parking area will have additional space for placement of porta-potties to be used during Eckert Crane Days.  We also hope to develop some interpretive signage around the perimeter of the parking area for visitor education.

        Jon Horn

        BCAS President

        Montrose