Great-horned owl

  • Cheryl Day
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2014
      Last night in bed I heard wings flapping, a squeak and then a great horned owl hooting from about 4 feet away. Then the owl did kind of a squeal noise, over and over again. I went outside, and the owl was on the top of the house. We looked at each other for about 30 seconds, then he flew towards some bushes, not far from the bedroom window, (sigh), and kept up the squeal/call noise for a few minutes.

      It was interesting that I could hear the wings, owls are usually so silent. And why would it make the typical hoot after a kill? And I know Great-horned owls make a lot of noise, but I never heard the squeal/call before.

      I was thinking that it was a juvenile. Anyway, an interesting night.

      Cheryl Day
      Hotchkiss

      “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” – Randy Pausch