New to the Group

  • Glenn Jacobs
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14 11:02 AM
      Just found this group. I live in the middle of South Park about 8 miles
      due North of Hartsel.

      I noticed that someone mentioned seeing the first Male Calliope. I saw one
      at the feeder very close to the 4th of July although I did not note the
      exact date. Of course he continues to visit.

      I have notices ac couple of other things with respect to Hummingbirds. 1)
      there seem to be less this year than in the last couple of years, and 2)
      the Ruffus seem to be less aggressive than normal.

      I saw my first Grey Jay ever about tree days ago. It was a pair of parents
      and a very noisy young one. It was the noise that caused my to notice them
      and they have remained in the area since then. When I first saw them the
      parents were feeding the the baby and now they ar4 avoiding him, i assume
      that is to cause him to start feed himself.

      JakeInHartsel
    • nic korte
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14 2:27 PM

        I had a visiting birder from Ohio. His primary targets were Golden Eagle (saw three), Lewis Woodpecker (struck out at end of 26 rd), and burrowing owl (struck out on 25 rd).  I tried hard on  Scotts oriole and Cassin's kingbirds--also no good, BUT, we had some good luck too as Tom got the following lifers:

        long-eared owl (at least three) on Brewster Ridge

        gray-flycatcher (pair on Brewster ridge)

        At 6:&50 and Stateline:

        gray vireos

        blk-throated sparrows

        lark sparrows

        ash-throated flycatcher

        sage thrasher  AND WE HAD A GOOD LIST OVERALL, WITH JUNIPER TITMICE, BLK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER AND OTHERS.

        Nic Korte