Hummingbiird happenings: Amethyst-throated Hummingbird and Green-breasted Mango

  • Steve Bouricius
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2006
      Here's an interesting note from a friend and fellow bander in South Texas, Sumita Prasad writes:

      Well, it's been an exciting hummer week for us in South Texas. On the 4th of July, a probable Amethyst-throated Hummingbird was seen and photographed at Terry Fuller's residence in San Benito (just south of Harlingen), Cameron County, TX. The bird was seen fairly well-- the photographs are a little fuzzy and distant, but may be adequate to document this first US record. The photos show the following characteristics of this large-ish immature/ female hummer.

      In hopes of re-finding and capturing the bird, we mist-netted in his yard yesterday. Though the Amethyst did not make an appearance, a Green-breasted Mango did. Shortly after the Mango was sighted, a tropical storm blew through, preventing us from banding for the rest of the day.

      Today, the Amethyst was not seen, but the Mango reappeared around midday. With banding karma built from yesterday's perseverance and subsequent wash-out, I was able to capture and band this individual (immature) Mango today. Unfortunately, the bird has not been seen in the yard since it was banded... (there's still hope he'll return "home" by tomorrow!).

      In the meanwhile, those of us in South Texas remain busy refilling feeders, watering our native flowering plants, and waiting ....with fingers crossed....for more Mexican hummers to arrive.....

      Good Hummering,
      Sumita
      ***************************

      Sumita's effort to capture a first U.S. record Amethyst-throated Hummingbird was not immediately successful but it resulted in a wonderful consolation prize:  a third U.S. banding record of Green-breasted Mango.  Nancy Newfield (of Baton Rouge, Louisiana) banded the first Green-breasted Mango in Corpus Cristi, TX, in 1992, and most remarkably, Susan Campbell banded the second Green-breasted Mango in  North Carolina, in November 2000.  These occurrences would not have been documented and accepted as rare U.S. records without careful in-hand examination and photos taken by licensed bird banders.

      Congratulations to Sumita Prasad for her documentation of the Green-breasted Mango, and for her work with Buff-bellied, Black-chinned and Ruby-throated humminbirds in South Texas.  Debbie and I have banded with Sumita in Texas.  I'm sure that she and her excellent team of banders will bring more exciting hummingbird happenings our way.

      Steve Bouricius

      **********************************
      Steve & Debbie Bouricius
      3412 C Road
      Palisade, CO 81526
      970-434-5918
      Hummingbird Orchards
      ....Banding and Research Station
      USGS Bird Banding Laboratory permit #23198
      CDOW Scientific Collections permit #06BD834
      NABC certified master hummingbird banders