Black Mountain

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2006

      Hi All,

      Early Saturday morning (July 8) I went with Dean DiTommaso to look for the WW Crossbill he heard July 4 on Black Mountain north of Craig. We had no luck with the WW but did have a nice assortment of spruce-fir species. Red Crossbills were everywhere. Other birds included a Blue (now Dusky I suppose) Grouse, Three-toed Woodpeckers at four different locations, Williamson’s Sapsucker, Pine Grosbeaks, Cassin’s Finches, Hermit and Swainson’s Thrushes, T. Solitaire, RB Nuthatch, GC Kinglet and other high elevation species.

      Two of the 3-toed sites, as well as the grouse, were found along the first ½ mile of FS trail 1185 (not shown on DeLorme) that takes off at the top of the Black Mtn Road (MoCo Rd 27, turning into FR 110; Rd 27 turns off Hwy 13 north of Craig). The other two were found near the intersection of Black Mtn road with the road to the Sawmill Creek Campground (for some reason the campground is marked as closed). The W. Sapsucker was found at the Sawmill Creek CG. Pine Grosbeaks were at the CG as well as around the intersection.

      Regards,

      Forrest Luke

      Craig