Grasshopper Sparrows

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7 11:12 AM

      I just got back into the office from doing some summer intern vegetation transect training on reclaimed lands at Trapper Mine six miles south of Craig. While walking across reclamation I heard an insect-like trill that got my attention in a hurry. Summer student training was forgotten for a few minutes. I followed the trills around an area of about ΒΌ acre and, even discounting for the ventriloqual nature of their song, I had at least three singing Grasshopper Sparrows. I finally flushed one and even without binoculars I could tell by the weak flight, short-tailed, flat-headed appearance that I wasn’t just imagining what I heard. I will try to get back out with a camera and get photo documentation.

      Regards,

      Forrest Luke

      Craig

    • Forrest Luke
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 18

        I had four separate singing Grasshopper Sparrows on reclaimed rangelands at Trapper Mine south of Craig this morning. This is the third year in a row that I have had GRSPs during June and/or July. I strongly suspect that there is nesting activity going on but finding a nest in the thick foliage where they have been seen could prove a challenge.

        Cheers,

        Forrest Luke

        Craig