Some great birds before and during the storm

  • Jon Horn
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2014

      I happened to look out the window from the house on Spring Creek Mesa in Montrose yesterday afternoon during the storm to find a juvenile Goshawk sitting on the fence.  It then flew within about 10 ft. of the window up into the cottonwood tree in the front yard.  This is the first goshawk I have ever seen around the place.  Soon thereafter, I happened to look out again and found a lazuli bunting sitting in the tree just outside the window and spotted a western tanager in one of our pear trees.  This got me outside for a few minutes and four western kingbirds were sitting on the fence a bit farther out, a Say’s phoebe was out and about, and a couple of yellow-rumped warblers were flitting around.  Lots of color.  The previous morning we had yellow warblers, orange-crowned warblers, and about 12 Bullock’s warblers around the place.  Lots of black-chinned hummingbirds, too.

      Spent Friday morning out at Billy Creek between Montrose and Ridgway with Alan Reed and Susan Chandler-Reed.  Here is the list of what we saw:

      Black-billed Magpie

      Bushtit

      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

      Golden Eagle

      Red-tailed Hawk

      American Kestrel

      Turkey Vulture

      Belted Kingfisher

      Brown-headed Cowbird

      Black-throated Hummingbird

      Broad-tailed Hummingbird

      Virginia's Warbler

      Yellow Warbler

      Orange-crowned Warbler

      Yellow-rumped Warbler

      Black-throated Gray Warbler

      Red-naped Sapsucker

      Eurasian Collared-Dove

      American Robin

      Mountain Bluebird

      Chipping Sparrow

      Western Scrub-Jay

      Violet-green Swallow

      Common Raven

      Black-headed Grosbeak

      Spotted Towhee

      Western Meadowlark

      Black-capped Chickadee

      Ruby-crowned Kinglet

      Ash-throated Flycatcher

      Red-winged Blackbird

      Brewer's Blackbird

      Song Sparrow

      Vesper Sparrow

      Say's Phoebe

      Starling

      We had incredible views of the ash-throated flycatchers when a pair came in to within about 10 ft. of us and sat very cooperatively out in the open.

      Jon Horn

      Montrose

      cid:image003.png@01CDF589.B3AD34D0

      Jon Horn