BCAS Radio Show - GUSG

  • Bill/Cheryl Day
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2006
      Hi - tune in to KVNF at noon tomorrow (Friday) for the Black Canyon
      Audubon show. Bill and I will be interviewing Erin Robertson, a staff
      biologist at the Center for Native Ecosystem. We will be talking about
      the recent de-listing of the Gunnison Sage Grouse.

      The Center for Native Ecosystem filed a Notice of Intent to Sue against
      the USFW for Violations of the Endangered Species Act over the GUSG
      listing. The San Miguel County Commissioners recently filed a Notice of
      Intent to Sue, on June 6, I believe.

      The USFW study said the GUSG population has remained stable over the
      past decade. But most people say it is a politcal, not scientific
      decision. The data analysis is flawed.

      I think a key question is to ask given that the rangewide plan has
      identified over 91% habitat loss for the species, how is it possible
      that the population could remain stable for a bird with such strong site
      fidelity....

      Basically, the study implies that somehow 5,000 - 10,000 birds have
      moved out of the historic range but not been reduced in population size.

      And how does oil and gas come in to play? If the grouse had been listed,
      the BLM would have halted oil and gas drilling in vacant potential
      habitat near the smaller populations. Now, suddenly over 50,000 acres in
      western Montrose county are being put up for oil and gas lease sales,
      most near Naturita, Uravan and south of Sewewup Mesa. Compare this to
      4,500 acres in Garfield county and 8,400 acres in Mesa county. Quite a
      bit of land right after the GUSG is de-listed.

      Cheryl Day