Mesa County(west end)

  • leon stigen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2014
      I drove out to the west end of Mesa County yesterday afternoon to see what birds might be around. It was very dry out there. I drove up 1.8 road looking for sagebrush sparrows but I didn't see or hear anything. Then, I drove up 2.8 road looking for burrowing owls. I didn't see any owls, but I saw one sage thrasher and several horned larks. I drove to 6&50 reservoir, but it was bone dry!
         Then, I drove to Highline Lake. Here is my brief list: 26 Franklin's Gulls, 22 western grebes, 1 clark's grebe, 6 ring-billed gulls, 1 avocet, 14 green winged teal, 1 sandhill crane, 3 D. C. cormorants, 1 western meadowlark, 1 great blue heron, I kestrel, and 4 ravens.The north side of the lake is drawn way down, so we may not have many shorebirds out their this Spring. I glanced up at the "empty" heron nests on the west side with my binoculars. I didn't realize until I got home and read Dick Filby's post that one of these nests is occupied by a Great Horned Owl!!! The herons will have to nest elsewhere this year!
         Let's hope we get some rain out there soon, because it is very dry.
         Lee Stigen
         Grand Junction