Prediction

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2014
      I am going out on a limb and am predicting that Coen and Brenda see Tree Swallows near Nucla tomorrow! I am sure ready for some migration action.

      --
      Jason Beason
      Paonia - Delta County
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2014
        Great attitude Jason!

        Tom

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2014

          Hi all

          Our first gull of the year today!  An adult RING-BILLED GULL flew northwest down the Roaring Fork Valley this afternoon.

          Meanwhile, our HARRIS’S SPARROW continues in our yard this evening, as well as several CASSIN’S FINCHES. But no sign of any Pinyon Jays whilst I was at the house today.

          Good birding all

          Dick Filby

          Carbondale, CO

        • Tom & Kay McConnell
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20, 2014
            For what it’s worth, earliest around here Mar 28th, 2008 at Silt.

            Tom
            Glenwood

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 22, 2014
              Yes, Jason and Tom, we saw several hundred Tree Swallows and a few Cliff Swallows at Bosque along the Rio Grande in central New Mexico on 19 March. On 20 March at Caballo again along the Rio Grande River Northern Rough-winged and Barn Swallows joined the parade flying northward. Warblers are moving too, Orange-crowned, Lucy's and Yellow-rumps mostly.
              Vultures are now everywhere in southern New Mexico. Even one Common Black-Hawk was in the mix coming north. Jason, this may be your hawk. We will not be back in Nucla until around 8 April.
              Good birding,
              Coen and Brenda

              To: "wsbn" <wsbn@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 24, 2014
                So I was half correct in my prediction that Coen and Brenda would see Tree Swallows a few days ago!

                Recent adventure: I did a very nice hut trip with my son and some friends into the Burn Hut (operated by San Juan Hut System) above Ridgway this weekend. Highlight was hearing a Boreal Owl (very briefly doing a call similar to XC169534 in Xeno Canto library), seeing a flock of Brown-capped Rosy-Finches, and one adult Northern Goshawk. There may have been other rosy-finch species present, but today I got good looks at approx. 65 and they were all brown-capped. At the location where I saw the rosy-finches going in and out there was a small wind turbine. On the way in it was very windy and the turbine was rotating rapidly. I watched the flock of rosy-finches pass near the spinning blades several time but never saw any get whacked. It did make me concerned for their well-being at this location and re-think whether or not I should install a turbine in my backyard. I didn't go explore beneath the turbine (it was on private land) to see if there were dead birds but I wonder....

                Jason Beason
                Paonia - Delta County

                Greetings,

                To: "wsbn" <wsbn@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Thursday, March 20, 2014, 7:53 PM

                       I am going out on a limb and am
                predicting that Coen and Brenda see Tree Swallows near Nucla
                tomorrow! I am sure ready for some migration action.

                --
                Jason Beason

                Paonia - Delta County

                --