Montrose Boreal Owl

  • Bryan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2014
      A friend found a dead owl in her yard, and from the pictures she sent me, it appears to be a Boreal Owl. It is now in the freezer and I plan to go look at it and will try to send out some pictures.  Does anyone on this list have a use for a Boreal Owl specimen or know of any scientific/educational use for one?
      Thanks,
      Bryan Gieszl
      Montrose
    • Bryan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2014
      Hello
      Here are some photographs I just took of this owl.  I have never seen a Boreal Owl and would appreciate confirmation as to the identification, but looks like a Boreal Owl to me!  The first picture is the area where it was found, which is between two fences adjacent to the sidewalk on York St. in Montrose.  When it was found, it was supple and, while not warm, it was not frozen either.  It is currently frozen and stiff.
      I appreciate all of the responses and ideas of what to do with the bird.  If all agree this is a Boreal Owl, and a report is prudent, I'd love to file one, but don't know how to do so.
      What an exciting find!  Too bad it's not alive!
      Bryan Gieszl
      Montrose
    • Joe Roller
      Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10, 2014
        Here is a link to the CFO website, the section on reporting a bird to the Colorado Bird Record Committee.

        If you get stuck, somehow, shoot me an email. YES! Please report it. Very cool.
        And I am glad that you have been in touch with Jason Beason, who agreed to take it to the DMNS.

        Joe Roller, Denver

        [Attachment(s) from Bryan included below]